what ive been doing lately

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
11 nights. 3 possums. 4 raccoons. (and i think i got a fox too.) something was getting my chickens.

MDGC0025-1.jpg

MDGC0007-1.jpg

MDGC0008-1.jpg

MDGC0009.jpg

MDGC0014-1.jpg

MDGC0015-1.jpg

MDGC0017-1.jpg

MDGC0021-1.jpg

MDGC0022-2.jpg

Beefy, Those are some nice photos. I believe we have the same problem at our chicken house. Just one question....What do you do if you catch a skunk in that cage. :???: :???:
Tom.

If you catch a skunk, you shoot it rom a distance, then spray it with a lemon oil mixture and it'll make it bearable to remove. Sometimes, you can hit a skunk in the head with a .22 and they won't spray.

Beefy, coons bring around $10 each here. They're in big demand from some people. In the winter time I bring the kids to coon hunt and sell the coons.

Some people like to make bbq out of them coons around here. Just make sure that you leave 1 paw on in order that we know it's not a cat...

grannysoo":3sq7u52r said:
Some people like to make bbq out of them coons around here. Just make sure that you leave 1 paw on in order that we know it's not a cat...

I've never been THAT hungry!

the latest count is 5 coons, 3 possums, 3 chickens, 1 fox?, and now i have spotted a bobcat.

Beefy,

Be careful with the bobcat - they are protected by uncle sam.

Granny soo, Your dead on right! You either have to sell the coon not skinned, or leave one foot on. When I was a teenager it was common for people to try to pass off regular house cats as coons - no joke. I personally don't eat coon (and yes I'm a cajun), I've seen what they eat.

cypressfarms":w1fyzb2n said:
Beefy,

Be careful with the bobcat - they are protected by uncle sam.

Granny soo, Your dead on right! You either have to sell the coon not skinned, or leave one foot on. When I was a teenager it was common for people to try to pass off regular house cats as coons - no joke. I personally don't eat coon (and yes I'm a cajun), I've seen what they eat.
Bobcats aren't protected federally so it must be a state thing we have a season on bobcats

I had a young black man in Troy, Alabama tell me that nothing be more better than Opossum and sweet taters like his mama fix. Anyone know about that.
Tom.

kerley":g8pzpj12 said:
I had a young black man in Troy, Alabama tell me that nothing be more better than Opossum and sweet taters like his mama fix. Anyone know about that.
Tom.

Probably go down real good with some collards.

just found this! Racoons almost took my chickens out 9 down to 2. I thought the chickens were killing each other. I trapped 6 coons and 2 possums. The only reason i knew it was a predator is they finally took an entire chicken out of the pen. Clever animals. They pushed the chiken wire down from the roof and was able to get in and out of that area. 8' off the ground of course they had stuff to climb on but still!

kerley":1ootgn9s said:
Tom.
He is right as best I can remember. It has been a long time.
I only knew of one white lady that could/would cook it and she is now dead. But when I was a little boy she would send for me to come every time they had possum and taters because I enjoyed it so much.

At home we only had things like steak, fried chicken, pork. So possum was a real treat for me.

Ryder":h546ex0z said:
kerley":h546ex0z said:
Tom.
He is right as best I can remember. It has been a long time.
I only knew of one white lady that could/would cook it and she is now dead. But when I was a little boy she would send for me to come every time they had possum and taters because I enjoyed it so much.

At home we only had things like steak, fried chicken, pork. So possum was a real treat for me.

Kerley, I'm disappointed. Your from the south but say Opposum?????? Maybe your just trying to be gramatically correct. Everyone knows it possum ;-) And if you'd ever seen what they eat you might not want to eat them. I can remember as a kid my grandfather riding me in his truck through his pasture. He had a cow that had died and the carcass had been out for a while and was smelling ripe. As he drove up to it to set it on fire, at least 10 or more possums ran out. Don't know if I'd ever eat them, can't get that picture out of my head.

Latest posts