What is?

Help Support CattleToday:

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
0
Location
South La
A Gomer Bull is a bull that has his penis surgically altered so that he can't breed any cows. He is used for heat detection.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
la4angus":1vqhanmt said:
A Gomer Bull is a bull that has his penis surgically altered so that he can't breed any cows. He is used for heat detection.

While that is a Gomer, usually called a side winder, a vasectomized bull serves the same function.
The vasectomy route is more common because of the complexity of the surgery required to make them a sidewinder.

dun
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
CopeMan":3ui2pgro said:
How do they surgically alter the bull? What do they do?

A sidewinder (penile deviation) has the penis routed up the side under the skin and out the side. Otherwise they can be vasectomized by cutting, I think, the vas diverens. I've also seen the tail of the epididymis clipped. A side winder can still be collected for AI, the others make him sterile.

dun
 

Ann Bledsoe

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2004
Messages
212
Reaction score
0
Location
Florida, USA
The penis is moved from it's normal position under the belly to a spot on the flank, the operation is called penile deviation.


CopeMan":k6l3yqtu said:
Im not being ignorant, but the "penile" is moved?
 

txag

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
1,712
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
Ann Bledsoe":p2hr2ug7 said:
The penis is moved from it's normal position under the belly to a spot on the flank, the operation is called penile deviation.


CopeMan":p2hr2ug7 said:
Im not being ignorant, but the "penile" is moved?

& in other words, his penis now comes out his side instead of under his belly like normal. when he mounts a cow it is not in position to breed her.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
txag":3qf41ct0 said:
Ann Bledsoe":3qf41ct0 said:
The penis is moved from it's normal position under the belly to a spot on the flank, the operation is called penile deviation.


CopeMan":3qf41ct0 said:
Im not being ignorant, but the "penile" is moved?

& in other words, his penis now comes out his side instead of under his belly like normal. when he mounts a cow it is not in position to breed her.

Thirty odd years ago it was fairly common in some AI studs. The technician could collect without having to get as close to the bull.

dun
 

sidney411

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 9, 2004
Messages
2,839
Reaction score
1
Location
South Central Texas
How much does it cost to make a bull a sidewinder? Do they do that when they are young or can you do it to a bull that has previously been a herd sire?
 
Top