what is your favorite breed and why.

Help Support CattleToday:

Brangus. I have Angus and Brangus, but I'm phasing the Angus out. The Brangus are much more heat and insect resistant, easier birthing, and the don't start cycling until an older age.

JB

I like brahman and f1 tigerstripes. They're heat, disease, and bug resistant. They milk good, calve easily, and look good in the pasture. :cboy:

Cattle Rack Rancher said:
Of all the cattle I have, my Shorthorn x cattle raise the best calves. If i could get them in black, I'd have nothing on my place but ShorthornX cows.

Cattle Rack........under what conditions?Are you winter calving,summer calving,calving on grass? Creep feed or just grass and milk? Rotational grazing etc. :) just wanting to see what works for others. :) :) :)

I am thankfull for all the regestered breeder out there.
Without them we would all wind up with mongrels.

But I love cross bred cattle,
Black baldys are my favorite, and Super Baldys may be better!

Hillbilly

Everyone has their own preference. But I think that environment dictates to producer what will work for you. So what puts the most money in your pocket on a given day is the correct answer!

My personal preference is Red Angus!!

frenchie":2bhfb7a3 said:
Super baldy?

i'm not sure what hillbilly is referring to, but we call our brangus x herefords super baldies.

txag":2kqvf3kt said:
frenchie":2kqvf3kt said:
Super baldy?

i'm not sure what hillbilly is referring to, but we call our brangus x herefords super baldies.
I really don't think Super Baldies would do very well in N.W. Manitobia.
Could be a little to chilly for the Brahman blood.

Cattle Rack........under what conditions?Are you winter calving,summer calving,calving on grass? Creep feed or just grass and milk? Rotational grazing etc. just wanting to see what works for others.

We calve in early April/May on pasture near the house. All of our beef are grass fed on a six week, 8 paddock rotation. We don't creep feed as we prefer grass fed beef and so do the people we sell beef to. I have Galloways, Highlands, AngusX, ShorthornX, and a few other assorted although I'm working on turning all my cows black with a recessive red gene. Currently, I'm using a borrowed Tarentaise bull for cleanup because my Simm-Angus bull seems to have lost his concept of fence after being six weeks with my cows. My brother decided to use him this year and was holding him in a pen up by the house. He went through 5 fences to get to the cows, but at least he should be entertained for a month or so.

Not an expert by any means, but for our small operation to put beef in our freezer, simmentals are working real well. Fairly easy to manage, never have any problems with calving, disease, etc... and the meat tastes real good.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE said:
Murray Grey all the way! :cboy:

Okay but why........... what are the reasons behind your choice.and the conditions you are running them under. :) :)

frenchie":12jk6l4w said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":12jk6l4w said:
Murray Grey all the way! :cboy:

Okay but why........... what are the reasons behind your choice.and the conditions you are running them under. :) :)

1. moderate size
2. good feed conversion
3. docile disposition
4. Calving ease
5. Excellent carcass yield
6. They are "pretty" ;-) :cboy: :)

Not sure what you mean by "conditions you are runnig them under".

Latest posts