What is your favorite brand of knife?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I use a bench made knife for hay and such. Pretty good knife but can sometimes be difficult to sharpen to a razors edge but will hold the edge pretty good once its sharp. My blade is about gone and I was just wondering what type knives you like and the characteristics of the metal.

A friend of mine who is a retired butcher, dropped a knife by the house - its made by Cutco. He swears by it. Seems like good metal and it is extremely sharp.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have a Gerber Gator serator. I've found it can be difficult to put an edge on, but once there it stays. A friend of mine sells knives, and he carries a Kershaw. I've been eyeballin it myself. He says he sells quite a few of them.

That's quite a thread Dun. Seems Case is well liked. Went to the Case website and went on tour. Impressive. American made and seems they g-a-s about quality. Gonna go get one tomorrow. (Even had a locator map at site and told me what stores and where.) Cool business. Thanks.

Jogeephus":lnnnwb6e said:
That's quite a thread Dun. Seems Case is well liked. Went to the Case website and went on tour. Impressive. American made and seems they g-a-s about quality. Gonna go get one tomorrow. (Even had a locator map at site and told me what stores and where.) Cool business. Thanks.

Good choice.

Was at a knife store today, got bored and went gun shopping and Knife shopping. Looked at some Buck knives, saw this little knife that I thought was kind of cook it was a mini trapper (think that was its name). Seemed nice and all then looked at blade and it was made in China. I thought Buck's were American made.

As brought out I am now partial to Case, you will be very happy.

After I learned more about them and their superior quality and collectibility me and the son are now buying a few to collect. They go like hot cakes on Ebay.

aplusmnt":3kojwmfx said:
Seemed nice and all then looked at blade and it was made in China. I thought Buck's were American made.
Outsourcing. Almost everything is Made in China.

la4angus":1kvaky8t said:
aplusmnt":1kvaky8t said:
Seemed nice and all then looked at blade and it was made in China. I thought Buck's were American made.

You can still get some of the old knives on eBay. They are fetching a lot of nickels tho. I picked up over a dozen old Marbles knives last year on eBay.

Any cheap knife at Walmart is what I carry, cant keep them long enough to get more then a sharpen or two out of them, have a Kershaw for hunting knife

backhoeboogie":1gn7fia6 said:
la4angus":1gn7fia6 said:
aplusmnt":1gn7fia6 said:

You can still get some of the old knives on eBay. They are fetching a lot of nickels tho. I picked up over a dozen old Marbles knives last year on eBay.

I was duped into buying a new Marbles sowbelly stockman off of E-Bay. When I got it it said "Made in China" right on the backside of one of the blades. Quite a disappointment.I've already broken it and pulled trusty Old Timer back out.

Mmm. I have a Winchester knife I carry all the time, seems to work great but gets dull easily.

Picked up a medium stockman today. Sat down tonight and worked it on a finishing stone about 10 times on each blade. Razor sharp. I'm impressed. Also got 20% off at the store.

Was surprised too, because I was asking a friend of mine at hardware store what he thought about them and turns out he was a collector. He started telling me stuff when another guy starts in on his collection of Case knives. I never knew people collected knives like this. It is obvious now, I need to get to town more often. :lol:

Jogeephus":3v86g2ln said:
Picked up a medium stockman today. Sat down tonight and worked it on a finishing stone about 10 times on each blade. Razor sharp. I'm impressed. Also got 20% off at the store.

Was surprised too, because I was asking a friend of mine at hardware store what he thought about them and turns out he was a collector. He started telling me stuff when another guy starts in on his collection of Case knives. I never knew people collected knives like this. It is obvious now, I need to get to town more often. :lol:

We just started collecting them, I had always took my kid to town to buy knives for his collection but now after looking into Case I see I need to help him build a quality collection.

If you look on ebay, you will see knives with maybe 1 or 2 bids if even that, but when you look at the case knives there will be double digit bidders. From what I have learned in a short period none are as collectible as Case. The only other one that I see go like hot cakes is Hen and Rooster. Always lots of bidders for both of these.

onthehoof":13wtxkv1 said:
Mmm. I have a Winchester knife I carry all the time, seems to work great but gets dull easily.
Wifes grandma gave me a winchester knife for christmas one year. I loved it, but lost it when I was cleaning out the cow shed.

Best knife that I ever owned didn't have any visble brand and had been sharpened so much that it looked more like fish filet knife....was in some of my grandfather's things. Holds an edge for months and has a nice feel when in use.
Dave Mc

Jogeephus":14na5szh said:

Try the final finishing strokes on cardboard. Works as good as leather.

Case... I carry a folding hunter on my belt and a trapper in my pocket. Both are over 20 years old and show it but still have a snap in the blade and hold an edge well.Z

Latest posts