What is your favorite all time anitbiotic?

Help Support CattleToday:

nuflor with flunazine for most things like navel ill
Trimidox or trivetrin (sulfa drug) and calfspan for scours with flunazine
Oxytetracycline for footrot, and a few other choice things when they pop up.

Actually i would prefer none...lol

Impossible tp pick just one. It's like asking which is more important the tractor or the corn planter? To attempt to answer the question I will say Draxin.

Larry

I still don't think you can beat simple old Oxytetracycline (it has numerous Trade names). That is almost the only thing we ever use and it almost always works. Another good thing is that it is cheap, some of those others can get awfully expensive. We do use Nuflour for navel ill though. In talking to my vet he has told me that each drug has symptoms/areas of the body it is best used for. As an example if you get a bull with puss in his semen he reccomends Oxytet over anyhting else because it is as effective (or more) than other drugs and much cheaper especially considering the dosages required.

you all are going to laugh, but good old combiotic, or other penicillin.

Range cattle just don't get sick like cows in confinement (or they die so fast you don't have time to treat them - that's if you find them on time) so about the only time I have reason to use antibiotics on cattle are calving problems or some physical trauma (hit by a car or some such). Penicillin does the job (or they plain didn't ever fever or need it). Used to use LA200 for pinkeye but haven't had a case in a long time and I think the last time I used nitrofurazone powder puffed onto it.

Last serious horse injury the vet gave me penicillin, and it was more preventative as there wasn't any infection.

I use more penicillin than anything else - it works on the ailments I see most often, and a penicillin-based intramammary or injectible is first choice for strep uberis also, which nearly all the mastitis I see is.

Apart from later summer/autumn intramammary (when staph infections are more likely), any other antibiotics I usually get prescribed by the vet on a case by case basis.
Some of the antibiotics you guys use we simply don't have here - either different names or more likely, they're not approved for use in this country. Or maybe not necessary where there's less resistance problems.

cfpinz":3dwy0xly said:

I have used LA200 and it's ok. Nuflor is pretty effective and I like it but not the cost. Now Micotil is another animal all together. I have used it sparingly but when something has been really sick Micotil has pulled them through. I had a limo calf a few years ago that was nearly dead with some bug he brought home from the sale barn. One shot of Micotil and he was a new animal by the next day. I don't like to use it because it is so dangerous but boy does it work!

tncattle467":obaygun1 said:
HOSS":obaygun1 said:
cfpinz":obaygun1 said:

I have used LA200 and it's ok. Nuflor is pretty effective and I like it but not the cost. Now Micotil is another animal all together. I have used it sparingly but when something has been really sick Micotil has pulled them through. I had a limo calf a few years ago that was nearly dead with some bug he brought home from the sale barn. One shot of Micotil and he was a new animal by the next day. I don't like to use it because it is so dangerous but boy does it work!

Ive had the same results with it hoss as well as baytril.

Neighbor had a cow that was down and couldnt get up was breathin heavy and coughing. I think it had pneumonia. LA 300 didnt do anything for it. I went and got a syringe of baytril and gave it to the cow. I figured she would be dead by morning. The next morning she was up eating hay and grain. She even was jumping around like calves and cows do when they are happy.

Think the Baytril did it or maybe the LA kicked in?

Latest posts