What is your current processing cost?

Help Support CattleToday:

I just picked up a couple from the butcher today. $80 slaughter each, 75¢ / lb cut and wrap
One steer hung at 784, the other at 742 so they did good for never seeing a bucket of grain.
Am I correct that you are talking Canadian dollar?
Translation: $80 cad = 62.40 usa 75 cents cad = 58 cents usa

I use a USDA facility and here is the cost break down.
Kill fee: $55
Packaging fees/options:
Paper wrapped - .60 cents
Plastic Chub Bags(hamburger) - $.60
Cryovac (vaccum sealed) - $ .70 cents
Brand Inspection - $3 per animal
(Cost of Ecoli test included in fees.)
This also includes them putting on my "approved" labels, which I have produced and sent directly to them.

Last edited:
My processor charges $50 kill fee and $1.00 hanging weight, cut how you like. All meat is vacuum packed. I get my ground beef in 1# packages with no complaint from the processor.

How does $3.25 a pound for packaged beef sound? Calf fed out for 180 days and custom cut to suit you. I've taken one to the butcher once but never picked one out and had it butchered before so not sure if $3.25 is good price or not.
I charge $3.50, plus buyer pays processing. I deliver to their house and put it in their freezer.

I charge $4 per loaded mile if I have to carry to a processor over 30 miles.

I have considered going to $4 with as much as feed is now

I did some electrical work the other day at the butcher shop. I ask him for this years packaged price and he said he hasn't figured it yet. They did kill 3 while I was there but I didn't ask if they were his or customer Cattle. They have had people dropping off deer and they aren't too happy about it. I guess word got out and deer hunters are just showing up.

Update... they finally came up with this year's prices. This year they are charging $3.50 for hanging weight instead of packaged weight. They provide the steer and all the butchering for that price. All you do is fill out a cut sheet and pick up the beef. Is this a good price? They said they were going off hanging weight instead of packaged because the cut sheet dictated how much waste there was.

Update... they finally came up with this year's prices. This year they are charging $3.50 for hanging weight instead of packaged weight. They provide the steer and all the butchering for that price. All you do is fill out a cut sheet and pick up the beef. Is this a good price? They said they were going off hanging weight instead of packaged because the cut sheet dictated how much waste there was.
About 50 cents per pound cheaper than here

I charge $3.75/ lb hanging weight and I pay the processing and deliver to them. I use 2 different processors, one charges .55/lb HW and the other charges .75/lb HW. I'm trying to make sure I get in at the one that is .55/lb.

If feed keeps going up I might have to bump my price up a little, most in my area are already at $4/lb HW. I have repeat customers so I try try to keep the price low but still make a reasonable amount of money.

Southeast Texas. This was a big heifer that had to have her first calf pulled, and I didn't like the looks of her bag. She was 1/16 Longhorn, but marked up like a full blood, so I wouldn't have got much at the auction barn.

Attachments

• 0202220602.jpg
    0202220602.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
I agree, $3.50 is a good price!

Latest posts