What is your current processing cost?

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
I just picked up a couple from the butcher today. $80 slaughter each, 75¢ / lb cut and wrap
One steer hung at 784, the other at 742 so they did good for never seeing a bucket of grain.
Am I correct that you are talking Canadian dollar?
Translation: $80 cad = 62.40 usa 75 cents cad = 58 cents usa

C-Ranch

Reaction score
I use a USDA facility and here is the cost break down.
Kill fee: $55
Packaging fees/options:
Paper wrapped - .60 cents
Plastic Chub Bags(hamburger) - $.60
Cryovac (vaccum sealed) - $ .70 cents
Brand Inspection - $3 per animal
(Cost of Ecoli test included in fees.)
This also includes them putting on my "approved" labels, which I have produced and sent directly to them.

Last edited:

Rockdale

Reaction score
My processor charges $50 kill fee and $1.00 hanging weight, cut how you like. All meat is vacuum packed. I get my ground beef in 1# packages with no complaint from the processor.

HDRider

Reaction score
How does $3.25 a pound for packaged beef sound? Calf fed out for 180 days and custom cut to suit you. I’ve taken one to the butcher once but never picked one out and had it butchered before so not sure if $3.25 is good price or not.
I charge $3.50, plus buyer pays processing. I deliver to their house and put it in their freezer.

I charge $4 per loaded mile if I have to carry to a processor over 30 miles.

I have considered going to $4 with as much as feed is now

Lucky

Reaction score
I did some electrical work the other day at the butcher shop. I ask him for this years packaged price and he said he hasn't figured it yet. They did kill 3 while I was there but I didn't ask if they were his or customer Cattle. They have had people dropping off deer and they aren't too happy about it. I guess word got out and deer hunters are just showing up.

Latest posts