What is your commute?

Help Support CattleToday:

b l h

Reaction score
We are thinking about moving back home, there are couple of job opportunities that have come up that I have applied for. If these jobs fall through we are thinking about going ahead and moving anyway. This would put me about 50 minutes from my existing job. Right now I am about 20 25 minutes away from the job. Cattle business wise I'll have more opportunities there, because that is where I grew up and people know who I am. Those of you who work off the farm or ranch, what your commute like, I am I crazy for doing something like this?

bh

Forty mile commute and I love it. Its a great time to relax and think without any interuptions. But my commute is 40 miles of highway with no traffic and the no traffic part makes a big difference. If you were goingto have heavy traffic then you really need to think long and hard about it IMO.

My commute is about 30 miles each way. Windshield time is a good thing most of the time. Kind of lets you unwind between work and home. I guess it would depend how many hours you work each day. My total time between hours worked plus commuting comes to about 11 hours a day. I don't think I'd take this same job if there was more travel involved because it doesn't leave much time for extra curricular activities as it is. Good Luck.

Mine is 16 miles of curves, no traffic, farm to market road each way. I do it on a motorcycle on the dry days. Gives me a chance to get ready for the day on the way in and to unwind on the way back.

Wouldn't trade it for any other life if I could.

My commute changes on every job, Mississippi,Oklahoma,Texas,Louisiana,New mexico,Colorado,
Prettymuch whereever the drilling rig is.
The good thing is once I get there I usually have a trailer to stay in on the location.
I'm just north of Fort Worth,south of Denton.SoI guess to answer the Question 270 miles :lol: :cboy:

I drive 34 miles each way and it usually takes over an hour! Traffic in the morning is terrible. I feel like I could walk to work faster! I wouln't suggest it if your traffic is bad like mine, but if it was an area where the traffic was not an issue then I would suggest it, like was said, it is good alone time when you can cruise on down the road! :D

My commute is 40 miles each way. I try to time it so that I don't hit too much Dallas traffic. It gets stressful having enough daylight hours in the winter. I get used to doing chores in the winter by flood lights.

Depends on the pasture. Anywhere from 60 feet to a half mile. Unless I'm miking for the neighbor, then it's about 3 miles.

dun

22 miles one way. Two lane road the whole way except for one mile of it. Takes 40 minutes on a good day, I always give myself an hour.

About 25 miles each way. No traffic or stop lights to deal with. I've commuted as far as 70 miles each way. I don't mind the drive at all. I just hate buying the fuel.

JB

Cattle Rack Rancher":2bxk9xga said:
My commute is about 30 miles each way. Windshield time is a good thing most of the time. Kind of lets you unwind between work and home. I guess it would depend how many hours you work each day. My total time between hours worked plus commuting comes to about 11 hours a day. I don't think I'd take this same job if there was more travel involved because it doesn't leave much time for extra curricular activities as it is. Good Luck.

This is almost identical to my hours and drive.

60 miles from door to door one way, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Can't understand how people can pay as much as they do to live in a nieghborhood where the view is the neighbor's kitchen window 20 ft away, or where they constantly have to worry about driveway roberies and house burgleries, whereas my biggest concern is what preditor is going to eat my chickens when I'm not there......

I wouldn't base my decision solely on the distance.. I would factor in what you're gaining and what you're giving up. If you will be buying a place cheaper (which is safe to assume since generally RE is more expensive the closer you get to town) than something that's closer to town, it's a good trade off, as long as you don't mind the commute.