What is wrong with my cow's skin?

Help Support CattleToday:

naomilinn

Reaction score
My Jersey cow has tender bumps under her skin ranging in size from tiny to a lumpy silver dollar. The largest ones look like a cluster of smaller bumps and the skin feels hard and hollow underneath like an empty blister. She really doesn't like me to touch them so they must hurt. there is no hair loss. Other than that she seems to be behaving normally and eating well. The vet is coming out in 2 days, but if anyone knows whats going on I would appreciate help. This came on quite suddenly. Any ideas??

It could be anything from insect bites to an allergic skin/hide reaction from excessive insecticide.
The cow is not lethargic or running a temp ect. so nothing to be overly concerned about and since the Vet is coming
I'd ask them. I wouldn't waste much time on it as my Vet charges by the minute, so I'd get down to business on whatever work you called them out to do.

It's possible that those are, what old-timers call, 'wolves'. If you look very closely at the bump, in/around the center is there a teeny-tiny hole? If so, then there is a larva in there, that will come out, drop to the ground and continue on its cycle of becoming a fly. Warbles. Grubs. Heel flys.

That's the first thing that comes to mind, given the size that you describe.

That was my first thought but it's too early in the year for them and if they are looking close enough to see multiple bumps they would surely see the hole in the middle

dun":2686h8ro said:
That was my first thought but it's too early in the year for them and if they are looking close enough to see multiple bumps they would surely see the hole in the middle

Good points.

I know its a bit early, but I remember a friend of mine had a few on one of her horses, a number of years ago, and it was about this time of year (a bit early for sure).

have a cow with 7 or 8 bumps like this on her upper front leg in line about 10 inches long. don't know what they are, but I guess they will go away in time

naomilinn":9gmgii6v said:
if anyone knows whats going on I would appreciate help. This came on quite suddenly. Any ideas??
10 days...
Alien abductions happen quite suddenly, tiny holes, hmmm perhaps trace evidence of a failed alien cow abduction.
Yupper, seems aliens have snatched yet another 1st time poster.

Latest posts