what is up with the cattle.

Help Support CattleToday:

skcatlman

Reaction score
I see many of the cattle on this site are long but lack depth of rib , are pencil or tight gutted and slack quaretered. I personally like a real deep rib tons of capacity,volume, guts and the butt naturally follows.Just an old saying i know is true don't expect to have tons of horsepower with a small engine. Cattle need guts to be good in my books, i have spent a fair bit of time in the feedlot industry and you learn very fast that tight cattle that lack guts may look good for the show ring but are not the cattle you want to breed for the feedlot.I have seen posts where people comment about cattle being unattractive and gutty. that is not the case the cattle just had tons of volume,guts and capacity. Some on here have to learn what is really important after all why are you showing,to promote your cattle to the commercial producer wanting seed stock. but if you are just playing i guess it doesn't matter but it is people like that that should be showing horses or alpacas as they tend to cause problems for the beef industry. Sorry about the rant but there are just so many people on this site that like those tight hided , tight gutted, narrow muzzled ,hard doing feed wasters. what do others think on this subject?

skcatlman":37c4one7 said:
I see many of the cattle on this site are long but lack depth of rib , are pencil or tight gutted and slack quaretered. I personally like a real deep rib tons of capacity,volume, guts and the butt naturally follows.Just an old saying i know is true don't expect to have tons of horsepower with a small engine. Cattle need guts to be good in my books, i have spent a fair bit of time in the feedlot industry and you learn very fast that tight cattle that lack guts may look good for the show ring but are not the cattle you want to breed for the feedlot.I have seen posts where people comment about cattle being unattractive and gutty. that is not the case the cattle just had tons of volume,guts and capacity. Some on here have to learn what is really important after all why are you showing,to promote your cattle to the commercial producer wanting seed stock. but if you are just playing i guess it doesn't matter but it is people like that that should be showing horses or alpacas as they tend to cause problems for the beef industry. Sorry about the rant but there are just so many people on this site that like those tight hided , tight gutted, narrow muzzled ,hard doing feed wasters. what do others think on this subject?

im with you ....i really like those deep soggy big middled animals......but there is place and a purpose for any type of cattle

I like alot of volume to my cows for reproductive purposes but I dont like them soaggy. Im with you in liking the nice deep cattle but there is a purpose for different cattle in different regions, for example thats why there are very few eared cattle in Washington.

BlackBaldyMan":kt7a2ls2 said:
I like alot of volume to my cows for reproductive purposes but I dont like them soaggy. Im with you in liking the nice deep cattle but there is a purpose for different cattle in different regions, for example thats why there are very few eared cattle in Washington.

trust me down here in florida that about all i see

I agree with you in the fact that breeding cattle need to have plenty of guts for reprodutive purposes. However, i dont feel that the super deep soggy are what the industry needs. I feel that we (beef producers) are actually in the business to produce red meat for consumption. The end product is what goes on the table. I think muscle should be one of the most important traits of beef cattle, not guts.

I would not say guts are a trait rather a part of structure. As far as only needing them for breeding? Cattle need guts to comsume alot of feed to turn that feed to growth and muscle and fat. Tight gutted cattle are poor does they do not feed efficiently or gain well. Muscle is like anything it all has to be in balance. Too much muscle and you lose fertility ie) double muscled cattle. If you want your cattle to be efficient producers in the commercial setting you need them to have guts, capacity and volume. Personally i think it is all a balancing act that good producers figure out. Focusing on specifics like the showring does wrecks breeds because people chase traits that are not of economic importance. Just look how breeds have wrecked them selves looking for a specific color for example.

Funny you should mention that from your experience the bigger gutted or higher capacity cattle fared better in the feedlot. I know its the case on forage and have seen in my limited feedlot experience that they tend to start gaining sooner, but I always though the feedlots wanted the taller less gutty animals because they were supposed to gain more efficiently.

Or is this just a scam to sell more grain through retained ownership?

I could never understand how feedlot efficeincy and feed convertion rate differs from forage feed efficiency and feed convertion rate.

skcatlman said:

I am so with u. I have been taught all u mentioned. keep on talking. So many breeds have been ruined trying to get the perfect front end or color while the rest of the body goes down the drain..ROCK ON!!!

I totally agree with your opinion on these pencil gutted cattle on this site.One comment that I have heard is that feedlots are trying to turn cattle into pigs.Some breeds of cattle and individual within that breed almost seem to melt unless they have a five gallon pail of grain tied to their head, even when they are on extremely good pasture.I have seen literally thousands of head of cattle under range conditions. A cow is meant to eat grass not grain.They all look good when they have their head in a feedbunk. Grain hides a lot off faults.They have to have a stomach to digest what they eat-forage.Some breeders have started to realize this, and are starting to breed for more forage efficient cattle.Some pictures that producers have sent in of their bulls asking an opinion are a waste of film.If they aren't a good looking steer, they are never going to make a bull.

circlee said:
I agree with you in the fact that breeding cattle need to have plenty of guts for reprodutive purposes. However, i dont feel that the super deep soggy are what the industry needs. I feel that we (beef producers) are actually in the business to produce red meat for consumption. The end product is what goes on the table. I think muscle should be one of the most important traits of beef cattle, not guts.[you have to have the guts to turn forage into muscle
/quote]

Latest posts