What is this?

Help Support CattleToday:

HerefordSire":45gtz6r7 said:
Looks like a fishing loure on fishing line.

Maybe so but it ain't. It is some critter I haven't run across that I can recall. Looks like it has pads on some parts of it body. It climbed up 10'.

My first thought was a tent caterpillar but the coloration and markings aren't right so I'm leaning toward a geometrid caterpillar. Which one I haven't a clue as it composes some 26,000 species. But in summary, its an inchworm that will turn into a common moth. (edit - I think)

Jogeephus":2bw6nj8z said:
My first thought was a tent caterpillar but the coloration and markings aren't right so I'm leaning toward a geometrid caterpillar. Which one I haven't a clue as it composes some 26,000 species. But in summary, its an inchworm that will turn into a common moth. (edit - I think)

Thanks. Do they climb a spider like thread? This went vertical on a thread.

I don't know that much about them really. But like spiders they can spin silk with their mandibles and can use it as a mode of transportation like a spider does. Never seen what you showed myself. Have seen the webs and the silt but never seen one crawling vertically. Probably cause they tend to hide during the day like many spiders do. Here is a good link about them. Near the bottom it shows a picture of one climbing.

http://www.geocities.com/brisbane_moths/GEOMERRIDAE.htm

Jogeephus":2mfuvrwu said:
I don't know that much about them really. But like spiders they can spin silk with their mandibles and can use it as a mode of transportation like a spider does. Never seen what you showed myself. Have seen the webs and the silt but never seen one crawling vertically. Probably cause they tend to hide during the day like many spiders do. Here is a good link about them. Near the bottom it shows a picture of one climbing.

http://www.geocities.com/brisbane_moths/GEOMERRIDAE.htm

I'd say that's it. Thanks.

They're pretty common here, we call them inch worms. Grandpa always said if they crawl across your britches or shirt, etc that they were measuring you for a new one. Kinda bothered me when they crawled across my hands at the time...

cfpinz":1hzgwaap said:
They're pretty common here, we call them inch worms. Grandpa always said if they crawl across your britches or shirt, etc that they were measuring you for a new one. Kinda bothered me when they crawled across my hands at the time...

I would have recognized it if it had been crawling on something. There were 2 last night on the porch. My wife recognized it from the video. She had seen them hanging/crawling from trees before.

cfpinz":34xa3uaa said:
Grandpa always said if they crawl across your britches or shirt, etc that they were measuring you for a new one. Kinda bothered me when they crawled across my hands at the time...

I'd be concerned about that too. Kinda like seeing your name in a garden spider's web. Not good.

Looks like what we call an oak worm. They dangle from trees, usually oaks and climb back up their thread.

dun":28un8an2 said:
Looks like what we call an oak worm. They dangle from trees, usually oaks and climb back up their thread.

There is a big oak just a ways off the porch.

Dang now I'm wondering again. Guess I'll catch one and see.

I was thinking web worm or army worm, as we called them. Looks too big, though.

Latest posts