What is this?

Help Support CattleToday:

marksmu

Reaction score
If you follow my few posts - Im totally new at this whole cattle game. I picked up a small herd last week, and as the fun would have it I have a cow showing a sign of an injury, or illness, or something that she didnt have before - and I cant seem to find anywhere else.

Out of the 20 pairs we have, I have 1 heifer with this growth on her abdomen, just in front of the back right leg. We recently had over 26 inches of rain, and so as you may have guessed, mosquitoes are AWFUL - I am wondering if this is just from her kicking herself trying to keep the skeeters off her, or if this is something more serious? She is eating fine, her stool was normal, and she came to the cubes exactly how she did a week ago.

So anyone know what this is, and if its something I need to worry bout? Thanks!

i had the same thing on a simbrah cow a few years ago same location looked like a callous but never gave a problem , have you felt it

Every cow we have is kicking themselves trying to get mosquitoes off. They are kicking, they are swatting with their tails, they are throwing their head back, and they are rubbing on everything we own to get these suckers off them. There may be a fly or two on them, but what your seeing in the pics are swarms of mosquitoes. You step out of the truck, and you would not believe how many we have right now and how big they are. The county crop dusted with some mosquito spray yesterday evening, so hopefully they will start dying off soon.

My neighbors herd broke through the fences on Friday trying to flee the mosquitos....at least that is what they are telling everyone. The cows are getting swarmed so badly right now, they are just constantly walking trying to get away from them, and they end up just walking in circles all day, and not eating enough. His cows allegedly, just walked on through the fence out of frustration and ended up laying in the road. Of course being new to cattle, everyone thought they were our cows, and called us to come pin them back up - but when we arrived, they were not ours.

Im guessin we just have to earn a bit of respect in the area by showin everyone we do indeed have ours pinned up - but it was a great excuse to get out of the office early Friday. :)

if your bugs are that bad you need to do one of several things...
1. make a smudge. If you are allowed to burn in your area, pile old straw, hay, slightly damp and light it. It will and should only smoke. The smoke will get rid of the bugs while the smudge smolders.
2. get a groomer that you can hang between two trees with a drape cloth and put back rub solution in it...mix to recommended directions
3. suck it up and by a free standing oiler that you can move when the cows move to different pastures. Keep it near the free choice mineral and salt that you have for them
4. I think i heard somewhere that there are minerals out there with fly control
5.fly tags. This requires a working corral to secure the animal so you are safe while putting these fly tags in the ear of the cow. They are a bit expensive. In canada they are 2 something a piece. So we quit with the fly tags and have drape oilers in every pasture. They paid for themselves with the money we usually spent on fly tags. Fly tags last about 2 months and an oiler can be used year round and is also effective for lice control.

There are options, find one that will suit your operation.

Just looks like the navel of a cow with a lot of brahman influence.......this cow is probably 50/50 brahman/angus....some will be a little bit larger than others and the older cows will sometimes have them with a lot of hair missing Ntohing to worry about tho.

TexasBred":1sz007c3 said:
Just looks like the navel of a cow with a lot of brahman influence.......this cow is probably 50/50 brahman/angus....some will be a little bit larger than others and the older cows will sometimes have them with a lot of hair missing Ntohing to worry about tho.
i think he's talking about the place beside the navel follow the navel up her side, you can see the rise in her hide about the size of a hand are smaller. i seen them before on brahman influeneced cattle, they look like a smooth patch

SirLoin2":19q17nvg said:
Mark,
If you got nothing else going for ya, get one of those 2 gal hand sprayers
And half fill it with diesel fuel and spray them. If you can't get close to them, spray the ground where they normally bed down and on the ground any where they congregate and if there is any standing water they have to walk through, spray/or pore a lot of diesel on the water.
SL
no,no,no not brahman influence you'll burn em up, dont even think about it ive heard some diein' from it

SirLoin2":mv0n7b8l said:
Ala,
Re:
no,no,no not brahman influence you'll burn em up, dont even think about it
Well that's a new one on me!
All the instructions I ever read on fly sprays that called for #2 diesel, didn't say "except on brahmans" or "not for use on brahams".
Where did you come up with that one?
SL
didnt come up with it, its a known fact that brahman hide is porous has sweat glands.. delution is a different dog just like back rubs... you spray strait diesel on em and see, they'll be other brahman folks that'll testify to it

alacattleman":2k76psp8 said:
SirLoin2":2k76psp8 said:
Ala,
Re:
no,no,no not brahman influence you'll burn em up, don't even think about it
Well that's a new one on me!
All the instructions I ever read on fly sprays that called for #2 diesel, didn't say "except on brahmans" or "not for use on brahams".
Where did you come up with that one?
SL
didnt come up with it, its a known fact that brahman hide is porous has sweat glands.. delution is a different dog just like back rubs... you spray strait diesel on em and see, they'll be other brahman folks that'll testify to it

I remember reading that before about them as well, I can't remember who posted it though as it was a long time ago but they had links and everything..Maybe Dun will remember it and re post it for us.

Marksmu, RR gave you some good advice a smudge will be your cheapest ,quickest thing to do if you are allowed to burn in your area.

Flies are getting bad here already and we still are having freezing temps at night..we use cattle oilers too every where and the cows/calves I can walk up to I will spray them with a fly spray as well when it gets really bad. You also want to watch out for pink eye .

We use mineral oil on our cows when we spray them down, but I don't know how or if that would affect a brahman influence.

Well, I do not know anything about the breed so will give the old faithful advise that if you are unsure call your vet ,it is a free phone call, and ask what is safe to use on your cattle.. :tiphat:

SL2,
I've read some of your comments the last week or so. Refrained from commenting cause, well, why stoke a bad fire. Now though, I have had enough really.

Re read Alacattlemen's post and others who posted. Read the post in it's entirety.
-Straight diesel fuel will kill them
-diesel sprayed on is different than a back rub drape or oiler. Spray leaves dropletts which will soak to the skin. A back rub is diluted diesel fuel, and it rarley soaks right to the skin, but coats the hair in a fine film.

Now to the part that really blew my mind and that is your so called vet advice you just posted on bloat. That took the cake i must say. And we wonder why PETA and groups like that are jumping all over us. There are drugs for bloat...'APPROVED DRUGS OR OVER THE COUNTER TREATMENTS"!!!! last time i checked diesel fuel was not one of them.
I don't consider myself a feed lot advocate or any other specific part thereof. . I consider myself an advocate for the entire cattle industry
These were your words from the preconditioning thread...how can you say these words and talk of shoving diesel fuel down an animals throat?
Please think when dispensing vet advice. A newbie might just try it and get into a pile of hot water.

Good grief. If there was an icon like on beesource of a smiley slapping another smiley up side the head... can we have one please MOD...or throw tomato and duck smiley...

SirLoin2":1xxvdacv said:
Ga,
Re:
That's for a cattle rub, Sirloin. Not the same as thing as pouring or spraying it on them.
good lord man, what's it matter how you get it on them, you still get it on them.
What's the difference between you putting it on them, or they put it on themselves? It's still on them and they will get a lot more on them by rubbing daily then if you give them a spray weekly.
SL
I disagree. They won't get anywhere near as much from a rub as they would get from spraying. The only time they would get a heavy dose from a rub was when the rub was freshly charged. I don't know about other people's cows but my cows avoid the rub with gusto when it is newly charged and dripping.

SirLoin2":t7bi6xi9 said:
rockridgecattle
How about this one?
fish.gif

Or this one?
spank.gif

As for the rest of your post, I would only be repeating myself, so I will respectfully simple agree to disagree.

But I am pleased that I managed to bring you out of the closet.
SL

neither of them....this is a more polite, one. Like Gibbs and Denoso from NCIS, just a simple smack up side the head.

Insects are a problem everywhere, not a big deal. You should have a place to temporary confine your cattle. Spray them down. Hand spray, good products on the market. Spray legs and backs when needed. will control insects real well.
WHAT EVER YOU DO :shock: :help: Do not put diesel fuel and other contaminants on water sources where cattle and other life of any kind will be drinking. This I believe is the stupidest, uninformed, and totally WEIRD comments yet. :nod:

Mr sirloin, this might be the time to change your identity. :nod: again, yaaawn. :roll:

Latest posts