What is this?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have Brahman and Simbrah cattle, and Ala is correct.. do NOT mix any kind of insecticide with diesel to use on them! Their skin is not like Bos Taurus cattle, and they will break out severely, and can also get very sick.

With all of the good insecticides on the market today, there really isn't any reason to use diesel fuel anymore. I think that's probably more of a old timers remedy.

I can't really see anything on the picture on the cow. :?:

TheBullLady":1qytddvg said:
I have Brahman and Simbrah cattle, and Ala is correct.. do NOT mix any kind of insecticide with diesel to use on them! Their skin is not like Bos Taurus cattle, and they will break out severely, and can also get very sick.

With all of the good insecticides on the market today, there really isn't any reason to use diesel fuel anymore. I think that's probably more of a old timers remedy.

I can't really see anything on the picture on the cow. :?:

I believe it is the area I have circled in red. I may be wrong but it is the only thing I could see.

Cow_1.jpg

SirLoin2":so8umh0g said:
Check this out!
Atroban 11% EC
(Schering Animal Health) Contains permethrin. Gives long lasting control of horn flies, face flies, stable flies, house flies, horse flies and lice on beef and lactating dairy cattle, horses, sheep, goats and premises. Makes up to 50 gallons of spray. Cattle rub: mix 1 pint per 10 gallons diesel.
Source:
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... b0d0204ae5

And I don't see anywhere they says "not for brahman influence".
Am I missing it somewhere?

Those brahman cattle must really be delicate little things.

SL
nope right the opposite,,,, but you just cant fly in soakin; their hide with diesel..

SirLoin2":2nz3b8at said:
Mark,
If you got nothing else going for ya, get one of those 2 gal hand sprayers
And half fill it with diesel fuel and spray them. If you can't get close to them, spray the ground where they normally bed down and on the ground any where they congregate and if there is any standing water they have to walk through, spray/or pore a lot of diesel on the water.
SL

SL...this post makes it sound like you're recommending spraying them with full strength diesel...nothing else...

Mix ATROBAN® 11% EC thoroughly according to the following table: Repeat applications as needed but not more often than once every 2 weeks. Spray lactating dairy animals only after milking is completed. Use as needed on horses not intended for human consumption. Target Species Use Dilute Application Rate Lactating and Non-lactating Dairy Cattle and Goats, Beef Cattle, Horses, and Sheep Horn flies only Sprayer 1 pt to 50 gals water (3 tbsp/5 gals) OR 1 qt to 100 gals water (6 tbsp/10 gals) 1 qt of coarse spray per animal. Horn flies, Face flies, Stable flies, House flies, Horse flies, Black flies, mosquitoes, Eye gnats, Mange mites, Scabies mites, ticks, lice, Sheep keds Sprayer 1 pt to 25 gals water (3 tbsp/2.5 gals) OR 1 qt to 50 gals water (6 tbsp/5 gals) 1-2 qts of coarse spray per animal over whole body surface. For mange, scabies, ticks, and lice, thoroughly wet animal. Repeat application in 10-14 days for mites. Horn flies, Face flies, Stable flies, Ear ticks Low pressure sprayer 1 pt to 2.5 gals water (3 tbsp/qt) OR 1 qt to 5 gals water 63 tbsp/1/2 gal) 1-2 oz spray per animal. Spot treat back, face, legs, and ears. Horn flies, Face flies, Stable flies Back rubber/ Self oiler 1 pt to 10 gals diesel oil (3 tbsp/gal) OR 1 qt to 20 gals diesel oil (6 tbsp/2 gals) Keep rubbing device charged. Results improved by daily forced use. POULTRY Northern fowl mites, Lice Sprayer 1 pt to 25 gals water (3 tbsp/2.5 gals) OR 1 qt to 50 gals water (6 tbsp/5 gals) 1 gal of coarse spray per 100 birds, paying particular attention to vent area. SWINE Lice, mange Sprayer 1 pt to 25 gals water (3 tbsp/2.5 gals) OR 1 qt to 50 gals water (6 tbsp/5 gals) Thoroughly wet animals, including ears. For mange, repeat at 14 days. For swine, allow 5 days between last treatment and slaughter. PREMISES - in and around horse, beef, dairy, swine, sheep, and poultry premises, animal hospital pens and kennels, and outside meat processing premises. NOTE: This product is not recommended for use on vinyl or plastic surfaces. Target Species Use Dilute Application Rate House Flies, Stable flies, Little house flies (Fannia spp.). Aids in control of cockroaches, ants, spiders, mosquitoes, crickets, Face flies. Sprayer 1 pt to 10 gals water (3 tbsp/gal) OR 1 qt to 20 gals water (6 tbsp/2 gals) Spray to point of runoff or 1 gal per 750-1000 sq ft. Overhead space spray system 1 pt to 10 gals diesel or mineral oil (3 tbsp/gal) OR 1 qt to 20 gals diesel or mineral oil (6 tbsp/2 gals) 4 oz spray per 1000 cu ft of air space. Do not apply dilutions for premise treatment directly on livestock or poultry. Ensure that animals' feed and water are not contaminated by spray drift. For space spraying, do not remain in treated areas and ventilate the areas before reoccupying. Animals should be removed from areas prior to treatment. Do not use in milk rooms. The use of any residual fly spray should be supplemented with proper manure management and general sanitation to reduce or eliminate fly breeding sites.

Thanks for all the input - I am going to hang a walk through solution across the fence on the way to the feeder this weekend. The cows will just about jump a truck to get to the cubes - so I am confident they will walk under one on the way through. Hopefully they get a good dousing on the way in, and then another good dousing on the way out towards the water. I did some calling around and the FSA told me the Co-op in town carries these specifically tailored to our area - so Ill be pickin one up, and Ill find out what they are recommending and post it up here Monday

marksmu":1swrr0x8 said:
Thanks for all the input - I am going to hang a walk through solution across the fence on the way to the feeder this weekend. The cows will just about jump a truck to get to the cubes - so I am confident they will walk under one on the way through. Hopefully they get a good dousing on the way in, and then another good dousing on the way out towards the water. I did some calling around and the FSA told me the Co-op in town carries these specifically tailored to our area - so Ill be pickin one up, and Ill find out what they are recommending and post it up here Monday
like bez says it aint rocket science, just go with the seldom used common sence and youll do fine
;-)

Hang it up AFTER they have gone in to the cubes. They will react better to it the first time- on the way out. And then you can pressure (more effectively)the ones that don't volunteer to go under it on their own.

Can we add the head banger and rolling over icons on the sites "smilies" list-- I like them

I may have to make a foot bath as well - I probably wont get around to it this weekend - but you are correct in your analysis of how wet we are. Though this was an extreme rain event (26 inches in 10 days) here is what one of my pastures looked like on Monday of last week. This is NOT a tank or a pond - just a field.

As you might guess its going to take a while for this to drain off. Luckily this field is mostly bermuda grass or it would have killed everything.

its funny you should say that b/c its an old rice farm. The canals that criss cross through the property and provide water to all my different fields are all rice canals. The problem with growing rice out there is the start up cost. Have you seen what it costs to buy a tractor that can pull a decent sized disc through the clay type of soil that is out there? Not to mention a combine, grain cart, dryers, etc....

The first year I leased 140 acres to a rice farmer - but it was a hassle. Rice is a high input crop, and it requires alot of equipment, and alot of attention. If you just lease it as farm land you can make more on cattle. If you go in on profit sharing, you have a huge upfront cost, and once the rice is harvested you still have to come back and break down the levees. I keep 77 acres in a separately fenced area that I reserve for duck hunting. I plan on running the cattle through it a few times a year to keep it at that right height for the ducks. My neighbor ran his on it before me when I allowed him to. - He would throw 400 head in for a week and it would be the perfect height for flooding. Once they came out I would pump up - and boom - perfect. Its a good field though - Its heavily improved in a wild red rice, millet, barn yard grass, japanese millet, yellow nutsedge. It is the only field I keep watered - not that I need to water it often. When the flood gates are open, it fills to about an inch of standing water. Close the gates, wait 2 weeks add cows. Pull em off fat and happy.

Latest posts