What is this

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks like ginseng to me, but I've never seen it growing in full sun with grass. If you will disclose the exact location, maybe I can bring a shovel and find out for sure.

Dyates you and i are maybe the only ones that no what it is. Wish that were true around here, they would be alot more of it left. Lots of places around here it has just about been dug out. Prices last year ended at over 800.00 a pound.

Red Bull Breeder":2p96llgw said:
Dyates you and i are maybe the only ones that no what it is. Wish that were true around here, they would be alot more of it left. Lots of places around here it has just about been dug out. Prices last year ended at over 800.00 a pound.

Brings back memories. I've dug a lot of ginseng but got less than $20/lb in those days. Like dyates I've never seen it growing in the open like that. Do you remember the plant that we called 'sang master'. It was an upright fern like plant with a plume growing from the center. Where you found it, you knew that ginseng would grow. Also another plant called Jellico, locally. It would fool the novice, looked somewhat like ginseng.

Sure looks like Ginseng to me but ive never seen it in a fence row.I think i would dig before I sprayed Roundup.

Red Bull Breeder":2qten9b4 said:

Last time I saw much was about 14 years ago. We were coon hunting and the dogs treed in a deep holler I didn't really want to go in. We just about called the tree slick cause it was a dead snag with nothing for a critter to hide in. Before walking away, I threw a spotlight up and there was the coon, setting right on top of the snag like a hat. Our nite lights just wouldn't shine high enough to see him. I put a cb cap in what I thought was a half-grown kitten, but when it hit the ground, it was a 15 pound boar, and he was plenty pi$$ed off. All we had was one old dog that could barely get around and a bunch of pups. Needless to say, he nearly killed him some pups but they finally got the best of him. While I was watching the blood, fur, and spit flying around, I noticed they were rolling around in 3 prong and bigger ginseng. It was the biggest patch I had ever seen and I bet it's still there. I didn't tell anyone what I saw and I can't think of one good reason why anyone would go back in that place if they didn't know it was there. I've always meant to go back and dig some, but I've never had the chance.

Red Bull Breeder":23moa374 said:

Man, I would try to plant more of it and sell the cows if it's worth that much! :lol:

That was what the price was at the end of last season. I don't no what the price will be this year. I found this big o four prong yesterday while looking at some timber, i knew there was sang there i used to dig in that area. I cut the top off of it so nobody would dig it at least this year. Told the wife we would have some fun and put on here, so i just stuck it down in the grass. Thought we would see who all knew what it was.

We got some Sweet Flag. We can't compete with the stuff you grow I guess as no body knows what it is and maybe since it got a bad rating in 68.

Latest posts