what is this?

Help Support CattleToday:

spoon

Reaction score
Here's a pic of one of the pastures. Looks ok to me but I'm no expert.
P4080610.jpg

Here's a pic of something growing in the field that I have to idea what it is. Anyone? I'm referring to the multi leafed plant growing in the grass.
P4080611.jpg

kickinbull":39lke8da said:
The small muti-leaf looks like serecia. Natives call it KY alfalfa. lol

Well I'm a native. :D I really don't care what it is as long as the cows like it and it is good for them or at least won't hurt them. Serecia is what I believe I remember hearing it called one time now that you mention it. I like the sound of Ky alfalfa better tho. :lol:

Well it's prolly Serecia then because is has spread a bunch although a friend stopped by today and I had him look at it and he thinks it might be Vetch. lol I'm gonna take some to the county local farm office and see what they think.

serecia, when making into hay, you have to be carefull when to rake, once it starts to dry those leaves fall off real easy and then all you have is the stem. If you can get it up with the leaves the cows love it. When pasturing, continuous, the cows will usually eat it down to nothing till it's gone. That's when it's tender.

I can't help you with the plant in the foreground, but the vining plant in the background looks a lot like bindweed - not sure of the type, though. If it is bindweed, you need to hit it now, and hit it hard.

It looks like vetch to me. Any chance there used to be tobacco in this hay field. Years ago, hairy vetch was the cover crop of choice. The seed will lay dormant for many years and then boom, it's everywhere. It does make good hay (it's a legume like clover), but cut it fairly early. It will wrap around the grass and get tall and spindly. The first hard storm will lay it down flat.

Yep. There was a tobacco patch right in that very spot 30 years ago. They moved the patch a few hundred feet for the next 15 years then moved it another couple hundred feet for the last few years. That probably explains why about half of this 25 acre field is covered with it and there is very little of it on the rest of the place. Thanks. Glad to hear it's good and not bad. :D

Latest posts