What is this - skin condition?

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
This is on the back of my 2yr old heifer. It was there when I bought her back in 2015. I assumed it was a scab or rain rot and would heal, but it hasn't. It is hard like a scab, and you can pick some of it off, but not too much or it will bleed. The biggest spot is the size of your fist and is over her front shoulders. Then she has a couple smaller spots near her tail head. Overall her back when brushed is very scaly looking. It doesn't seem to bother her, but I'd like to heal it up if possible. She is due to calve in June and I'm hoping it's not something she passes on.

I did a quick search. It looks and sounds like Plaque psoriasis. It is a skin condition due to an inflammatory allergy or autoimmunity. Do you know if a caustic substance was used for fly control?

don't know, but my old Hillbilly Grandpa would say ''just rub a little used motor oil on it and she'll be ok''. old timers cure all.

It does look like it has some lice. What we do in situations like that is; because we hate to have to call the vet out for something not live threatening, we will have her look at it when she is at our place. Would diffidently get a professional opinion. Another option is if it is not bothering her just to let her go. My biggest concern would be if it (whatever it may be) may spread.

I don't believe she has lice. I've had a round of that with them a little over a year ago (from daughter's horse) and I'm pretty sure it's been gone for awhile now, but I will look closer. I also don't think its psoriasis based on the pictures I've seen online.

She's not acting itchy at all. When she had lice before, she was rubbing on everything. Any type of pour on skin conditioner to try?

Could it be rain rot? It never goes away though and I have a dry environment for my cattle unless they're out in the rain. I guess they use a product in horses called Banixx to help remove the scabs and heal up the area. I might give that a try.

bleach water bath/shampoo, rinse well. See if that clears it up. Wont cost much to try. Might take a couple of hitches at it, but we have had good luck with it on rain rot in horses.

I don't believe it's either pestivirus or mange. It's not showing up in the other animals and doesn't appear to be itchy to her.

NonTypicalCPA":1c418kvy said:
I don't believe it's either pestivirus or mange. It's not showing up in the other animals and doesn't appear to be itchy to her.
We had a buck get sucking mange mites this spring. He is the only one that had it, and it didn't seem to itch...it became so painful he didn't want anything touching his hide. It started looking like rain rot or pasture scald on his legs, then crept up until his entire body was more or less covered with a thin layer of scab ( we were treating him the entire time, just not for the right thing apparently). He was well cared for, and not compromised, but it got the best of him anyway. We tried sprays, salves, deworming (oral) and louse powder, sunlight, no sunlight...nothing was working. Vet looked into it and found it was likely blood sucking mange mites. Several rounds of ivermec injections later, and he is clearing up. According to our vet, it it is mange mites, the ivermec injections is the only was to cure it.

NonTypicalCPA":tvsfb4l4 said:

How do you know Pesti virus is not involved without testing her? You bought her in, she is an introduction so being a PI is very much a possibility.

Ken

Latest posts