What is this petrified looking rock,

Help Support CattleToday:

My most recent collection of

'rocks' aren't manmade either but are pretty old. Wife was amazed considering we are 250 miles from the nearest sea shore and are about 1,100' elevation but 250 million years ago, this area was underwater..and down close to the equator. Dinosaurs had not yet appeared on land and the constellation Pleiades had not formed.

DSC00157.JPG

DSC00158.JPG

Last edited:
My most recent collection of

'rocks' aren't manmade either but are pretty old. Wife was amazed considering we are 250 miles from the nearest sea shore and are about 1,100' elevation but 250 million years ago, this area was underwater..and down close to the equator. Dinosaurs had not yet appeared on land and the constellation Pleiades had not formed.

View attachment 20695

View attachment 20696
I think you have your years mixed up the earth isn't more than about 6000 years old. Obviously fossils from the Great Flood.

Found a bunch of this the other day. Curious as to what it might be.
View attachment 20645View attachment 20646
Silver, I'm watching another geology lecture and he's talking about how your neighborhood was added on to North America. Accretion. Some of it oceanic plateau covered by limestone. From his map, it appears most of British Columbia was once out in the pacific. Cache Creek came from far across the ocean and has unique fossils. The YouTube video is titled; GEOL 101 #31 Exotic Terranes II. Posted by Nick Zentner. At around the 45 minute mark, he gets into the details of the Cache Creek terrane.

Silver, I'm watching another geology lecture and he's talking about how your neighborhood was added on to North America. Accretion. Some of it oceanic plateau covered by limestone. From his map, it appears most of British Columbia was once out in the pacific. Cache Creek came from far across the ocean and has unique fossils. The YouTube video is titled; GEOL 101 #31 Exotic Terranes II. Posted by Nick Zentner. At around the 45 minute mark, he gets into the details of the Cache Creek terrane.
I just watched a bunch of that. Interesting stuff, thanks.

Last edited:
Extensive googling has led me to believe it is something called tufa.

Tufa is a variety of limestone formed when carbonate minerals precipitate out of ambient temperature water.

Modern and fossil tufa deposits abound with wetland plants; as such, many tufa deposits are characterised by their large macrobiological component, and are highly porous.
Late to this thread but:

Haven't seen this stuff since college (geology major)...hard to identify rocks from images but I think you are correct here. If you happen to have some dilute hydrochloric acid, put a drop or two on it...if it immediately begins to fizz, it is likely tufa (limestone will do the same thing due to the presence of calcium carbonate). If it doesn't, scratch the surface just enough to make a little dust and try again. If it makes the dust fizz, it is higher in magnesium (like dolomite). The structures do appear to be living organisms that were replaced with calcium carbonate. Limestone is typically more layered due to depositional environment (typically building up on ocean floor at certain depths). Tufa is very porous due to decay of plant material within the rock & the mechanics of deposition (typically calcium rich fresh water flowing in cold to warm groundwater where the calcium carbonate precipitates out). The fossils are probably casts of plants that grew where the groundwater discharged. Travertine is similar in composition but is formed as a hydrothermal fresh water deposit and is much less porous with virtually no fossilized remains visible beyond some tiny microbes. Overall, a nice looking rock (in my opinion)...I would keep it. I-Naturalist is a good website for identification of lots of things (plants, rocks, insects, etc.) - just upload the photo and wait - I usually get very good results through I-Naturalist. If they come up with something different, I will stand humbly corrected.

Sooooo, what is this? Probably nothing more than a plain old rock but I think it looks like a legit foot. The Osage tribe was prominent in our area and legend has it, there was a burial ground on what is now the northwest corner of our central pasture. I found this last year and it's now "yard art" in one of the rock gardens. :unsure:

This is the top view. Can you visualize the arch, ankle, and toes?
1684441746344.jpeg

Side view, visualizing the arch & heel.
1684441892409.jpeg

The other side view:
1684441969656.jpeg

The bottom view:
1684442009408.jpeg

The Osage tribe was prominent in our area and legend has it, there was a burial ground on what is now the northwest corner of our central pasture.
Way off-topic, but Martin Scorsese has a new movie coming out called "Killers of the Flower Moon" about the Osage tribe. One of my wife's former students has a pretty big role in the film. He is a good guy and has really given back to our community. No matter how many times I see him on tv or the big screen, he will always remember him as the kid who used to cut my grass and broke my push mower when he was in high school.

No. Just NO!!! Guy that lives about 10 miles east had not only truck nuts, but a bumper sticker that said Cowboy Cadillac. Did I mention he was just a biscuit shy of 300 lbs.? :sick:
I've seen the type. A few years back I was across the river in Indiana and a super jacked up truck was at the same gas station as me. The laws are more relaxed there so you see some sky high trucks, I'm 6'2" and my head probably hit the steering wheel. A big decal in the back glass said something like jack 'em high, fat girls can't jump. I about died when an overgrown leprechaun with a scruffy beard came walking up and crawled in, the little feller was barely 5' tall and about as round as a bowling ball! I was just about on the ground, laughing at the most extreme case of short man syndrome in the history of mankind.

I've seen the type. A few years back I was across the river in Indiana and a super jacked up truck was at the same gas station as me. The laws are more relaxed there so you see some sky high trucks, I'm 6'2" and my head probably hit the steering wheel. A big decal in the back glass said something like jack 'em high, fat girls can't jump. I about died when an overgrown leprechaun with a scruffy beard came walking up and crawled in, the little feller was barely 5' tall and about as round as a bowling ball! I was just about on the ground, laughing at the most extreme case of short man syndrome in the history of mankind.
We have one of those. He's a midget (I think that's correct?; torso is normal size with stumpy arms and legs and a big head). He has to bend over to reach for pocket change. Never seen him wear a hat, probably can't find one that fit's. He drives a lifted Dodge one ton 4wd, with pedal extensions and a fold out ladder. He has a custom made bumper sticker that says "The important parts are full size".

Latest posts