What is this petrified looking rock,

Help Support CattleToday:

I picked this up in a hayfield this morning. Idk I think it might be quite valuable. .. dinosaur eggs??View attachment 21069
That is the end of a leg bone from a large animal and it is likely valuable, depending on what animal it came from. Watch to see if you can find the rest of the leg bone or other bones. This piece of the leg bone looks like it may have been broken off of the rest of the leg bone fairly recently. If you find the other part of the bone, it will be easier for a paleontologist to identify what animal it came from.

Sooooo, what is this? Probably nothing more than a plain old rock but I think it looks like a legit foot. The Osage tribe was prominent in our area and legend has it, there was a burial ground on what is now the northwest corner of our central pasture. I found this last year and it's now "yard art" in one of the rock gardens. :unsure:

This is the top view. Can you visualize the arch, ankle, and toes?
View attachment 30285

Side view, visualizing the arch & heel.
View attachment 30286

The other side view:
View attachment 30287

The bottom view:
View attachment 30288
This appears to be a good yard art rock. A person's foot would be lots of small bones, not a strange shaped rock.
Sooooo, what is this? Probably nothing more than a plain old rock but I think it looks like a legit foot. The Osage tribe was prominent in our area and legend has it, there was a burial ground on what is now the northwest corner of our central pasture. I found this last year and it's now "yard art" in one of the rock gardens. :unsure:

This is the top view. Can you visualize the arch, ankle, and toes?
View attachment 30285

Side view, visualizing the arch & heel.
View attachment 30286

The other side view:
View attachment 30287

The bottom view:
View attachment 30288
Not a fossil. Just a strange shaped rock.

Way off-topic, but Martin Scorsese has a new movie coming out called "Killers of the Flower Moon" about the Osage tribe. One of my wife's former students has a pretty big role in the film. He is a good guy and has really given back to our community. No matter how many times I see him on tv or the big screen, he will always remember him as the kid who used to cut my grass and broke my push mower when he was in high school.
I read about this movie. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

My most recent collection of

'rocks' aren't manmade either but are pretty old. Wife was amazed considering we are 250 miles from the nearest sea shore and are about 1,100' elevation but 250 million years ago, this area was underwater..and down close to the equator. Dinosaurs had not yet appeared on land and the constellation Pleiades had not formed.

View attachment 20695

View attachment 20696
That is a nice collection of ocean animal fossils. Obviously there was an ocean over the land where you live. There are several extinct oysters in your collection from the family Gryphaeidae. Graphaea mainly lived in the Triassic and Jurassic Periods, so they lived in the ocean 200 to 250 million years ago, then they went extinct. If you look up Graphaea you will see which fossils those are in your collection. You also have shells from other bivalves from the same period. There are also some interesting snail shells.

My most recent collection of

'rocks' aren't manmade either but are pretty old. Wife was amazed considering we are 250 miles from the nearest sea shore and are about 1,100' elevation but 250 million years ago, this area was underwater..and down close to the equator. Dinosaurs had not yet appeared on land and the constellation Pleiades had not formed.

View attachment 20695

View attachment 20696
Not to mention, more recently (geologically speaking) most of North American was under water 40 - 60 million years ago (Eocene - about the same time the Himalayas were being formed - the tectonic plate associated with India "crashed" into the one associated with Asia...afterwards, in South America the Andes Mountains were formed). This is also about the same time the Rockies were being formed. Most of North America being underwater during this epoch is why I can find sharks teeth here in the pineywoods of east Texas...see belowSharks2.JPG

Last edited:
For anyone interested - here is a pretty cool geologic timescale showing when some of the more geologically significant events
occurred.

Geologic Timescale.jpg

This appears to be a good yard art rock. A person's foot would be lots of small bones, not a strange shaped rock.

Not a fossil. Just a strange shaped rock.
I don't know…….I think I'd still tell all the grandkids that it was my great granddad's (1860-1936) foot. Great granny had to chop it off, to inhibit his efficiency at catching her. After 20 kids, she had to do something.

That is a nice collection of ocean animal fossils. Obviously there was an ocean over the land where you live. There are several extinct oysters in your collection from the family Gryphaeidae. Graphaea mainly lived in the Triassic and Jurassic Periods, so they lived in the ocean 200 to 250 million years ago, then they went extinct. If you look up Graphaea you will see which fossils those are in your collection. You also have shells from other bivalves from the same period. There are also some interesting snail shells.
It nowadays has a specific name. Texigraphea