What is this heifer?

Help Support CattleToday:

mpassmore85

Reaction score
Input on what breeds this heifer would be. I know for sure there is no dairy influence but that's it. Really like her and unsure how to recreate lol.
2 pics attached when I first got her and now. She is coming 3 in the spring.

Longhorn is part but not sure what else.

Second Picture may not be the best but she has the light ring around her nose which I was under impression is a specific family of longhorn trait.
Also her tail isn't the normal cow tail almost looks like a Jerseys but original breeder said definitely no dairy influence.
She raises bucking stock momma looked like a brindle Hereford thick thick

Looks like a Corriente to me but a lot of crossbreeding going on between Longhorn, Corriente and Mexican.

So I have what I think of as corrientes my area might be different than most pics attached. This is what I think of as a corriente. Actually have about a dozen ish

Fair enough. Was thinking she might have Brahman in her because of hip and tail?

Ps in Alberta very few horned anything around
Never hear of Brahmans at all except some bucking stock.

Could be. Are they know for a narrow hip and a sorta bob tail?

Little awkward as she's mid stride but you get the jist

Limo could explain the size. She's 2 of all the other longhorn/corriente heifers easily

That's about average for our horned critters up here cow attached is only 4.5 years old
Her dad would have been 1/16 watusi, rest blend of longhorn and corriente

For sure LH. No doubt. I have been around Corrientes most of my life. And LH's for the last 30 years in varying degrees. From her horns she is for sure LH. The rest of the mix could be very debatable. I doubt she has much if any corriente. At least she don't show it. Although if out of good cows it can be hard to tell at times. We have been using corriente bulls on our heifers the previous 3 years. This year used some half corrinente/half Angus bulls. Just weaned some half correinte cows this weekend and a few of them you would never know they were. This heifer has more of the LH look and Limmie could be in the mix but I would think unless it is a small % that she would be heavier made. If she has any Watusi again I feel it would be a small amount. From the pic hard to determime what might be surging through her veins.

The original breeder said the bull was a mix she thought Santa gerdtrudis/Brahman/ misc beef.
Mamma unknown But looked like a brindle Hereford quite thick not refined like this one.

Again I don't see anything that indicates much Brahman influence. But maybe those that raise them will. I almost said she could have a little Hereford influence but then changed my mind. So likely you may never know all of the ingrediants.

mpassmore85":16ed1npv said:
The original breeder said the bull was a mix she thought Santa gerdtrudis/Brahman/ misc beef.
Mamma unknown But looked like a brindle Hereford quite thick not refined like this one.
Sounding more like muddys post is dead on.....

In the 60s we used the bring a lot of steers from mexico and they were all classified as corriente, then it just meant mongrels from the south. They ranged every where from looking like holstein to jersey maybe some spanish fighting bull (based on thie termperment/behaviour). About the only markings I didn;t see were whitefaces/baldies. About the only thing they all seemed to have in common was they were scrawny and looked like crap with all having black medium to stubby straight horns.

Latest posts