What is this heifer?

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":1lb7lq4z said:
mpassmore85":1lb7lq4z said:
The original breeder said the bull was a mix she thought Santa gerdtrudis/Brahman/ misc beef.
Mamma unknown But looked like a brindle Hereford quite thick not refined like this one.
Sounding more like muddys post is dead on.....
Yeah I've around the rodeo business and lot of horned calves are usually mixed breed. Not lot of registered longhorns or Corrientes out there and last rodeo I went, they have "Corriente" calves with Brahman influence judging on the huge ears on them. Pretty scrawny ones.

Guy I bought couple groups of heifers from was a stock contractor for rodeos for team roping mainly super starved thin awful looking making some of the gentlest creatures I've ever been around now through. He fed them sawdust and straw so they didn't grow when I noticed damn near broke his jaw

mpassmore85":vxu2cw6c said:
Guy I bought couple groups of heifers from was a stock contractor for rodeos for team roping mainly super starved thin awful looking making some of the gentlest creatures I've ever been around now through. He fed them sawdust and straw so they didn't grow when I noticed be nice near broke his jaw
The kind that makes the animal activists, activate......

We started taking care of Mexico cattle in 63 and did for many years. Many were straight corrientes. Over the years I have seen and owned several with bald faces. Some with Herfored type markings. I also took care of several straight Hereford cattle that were crossed during the 60's and 70's. Regardless of breed they were all scrawny when they arrived. They had to be strong or they would of already died. You saw about every mix there was. In the later years in the last group I picked up at the border were 2-3 with a little Char in them. Over the years we took care of several thousand corrientes. Most of these were the true corrientes. The mix also varied a lot by where they came from. From some areas you would see more Brahman influence. That is why we liked the cattle crossed west of El Paso and westbetter than those crossed on down the river near Del Rio. The ones at Rio had more Brahman influence and not as good for roping.
The Beefmaster might be an option. I hadn't thought about that as we don't have any around here.

I'd love a whole herd of her and I'd breed to a polled black Simmental for beef or a lighter be Hereford. Or a solid red longhorn for roping etc
She has gained about 700 pounds in 124 days and is only 2 months along

Latest posts