what is the name of the hump on a brahman?

Help Support CattleToday:

Guest, if memory serves , it is known as the rhomboid muscle. Expect some of the more knowledgable anatomy/physiology types will correct either nomenclature or spelling.

Texan":282129w3 said:
Guest, if memory serves , it is known as the rhomboid muscle. Expect some of the more knowledgable anatomy/physiology types will correct either nomenclature or spelling.

I alwasy thought it was called Bill

dun

Strange question. Since all types of bulls have crest I guess you could call a Brahman bull's hump a crest, but amoung the people we know everyone just calls the bull's and the cow's hump 'the hump'

yeah, cant wait to test it out at Houston. he will already let me lay down against him, his hump is still too small to use as a good pillow. when does the hump really start to grow on the bulls? my bull is just over 11 months old and i havent noticed much growth at all in the hump.

What's it feel like? I've only seen one Brahman in person, it at was some sort of animal freak show at the fair...

The hump is called the hump. It is used to store food and water and is made up of a deposit of fat. Brahmans are the American derivitive of the Zebu, the name for Bos Indicus (or humped cattle) as opposed to Bos Tarus (non-humped cattle). Zebu is the Tibetan word for "Zen" or "Zeba" which means "the hump of a camel". In 3,000 b.c. , humped cattle were known in the region known now as Pakistan. Humans selection produced these cattle with the humps to help carry loads and pull carts. The humps kept things from falling off. The humps were a utilitarian design in those aspects. But the storage of fat and water is a side benefit. Brahmans are a "breed" of Zebu developed in 1924 by Americans. They are quite prevalent in the south because of heat and insect resistance and are popular because of the ability to pass this on to the breeds they are crossed with.

LOL ........ if it looks like a hump and feels like a hump...............lol

This is starting to sound not quite G rated.

As far as I know they do not store water, just fat and muscle. The feel in just about like any other part of the animal. Similar to the rump in texture I would suppose. The size will wax and wane with the amount of fat the animal is carrying. Bulls humps do not start to develop their characteristic size and shape until sexual maturity.

The crest is on the neck, the hump is behind that. You can also detect bone shape differences in Bos Indicus then are present in Bos Taurus. It also seems to have an almost waxy feel when you scratch it and rub it for a few minutes. And getting the residue off of your fingers and out from under your fingernails can be a little tougher then you would expect.

dun

You're right about that Dun! I had some kids out Sunday picking up their show calves, and they insisted I lay my Brahman steer (don't ask) down so they could all get pictures, and crawl all over him. That "waxy stuff" on their skin is very interesting stuff! It holds dirt like glue.

I'm betting it's partially responsible for Brahman's being insect resistent.

wlu_lax6":17y7yum3 said:
Topics containing links to people's sites are unneeded and contribute nothing as a whole, much like topics containing content like this one. You could have PMed a moderator and asked this same question and received the same State Farm Insurance response. Please do so in the future.

spammer :mad: .

Latest posts