What is the most you have paid for a cow or bull

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
what is the most you have paid for a cow or a bull. I have seen several angus cows bring over $100,000. The most expensive bull I have seen sell is $46,000

If you are spending that much you are looking for tax write offs. Also that kinda of like askin how many cows you got, not real polite in my neck of the woods.

well it wasn't meant to offend anyone. Anyone that i have seen buying at a sales, is proud to have their name announced as a winning bidder. It is public knowledge. Asking how many cows someone runs is not offensive in my neck of the woods. Might check who you are running with if they are afraid to tell you what they have. Most people who spend a lot of money on an animal uses that as a selling point for thier herd

Think they may be looking for bragging rights. Big $ doesn't mean they're real cattlemen. Personally I stay away from those who holler about how much they paid or how many they have. They tend to be more concerned with how they look than how their cattle look. I'll take the quiet ones anyday.

i saw $185,000 bull at G A R and a $170,000 10 mo old heifer dell for $170,000 at the Wehrman sale.

my personal spending is much less impressive. :D

Went to a big club calf sale in OK the last two years. In 2004 the high heifer sold for $37,500.00 and there was another heifer in the sale that sold for $3,000.00.

This last year in their 2005 sale catalog they showed some previous wins, the only thing they listed for the 37,000 dollar heifer was it winning champion Crossbreed at OKC Youth expo.

Were the heifer that sold for 3,000 went on to be Supreme Champion at the Tulsa State fair.

High Prices do not always mean the best return. Some people just got more money than brains.

$975 for my bull I bought this past December and $825 dollars for a great cow calf pair 4 years ago. Don't mind if ya know.

no one has better cattle or knows more about them. than a doctor or lawyer thats been in the business for a year or so. its funny how money can make you a cow man overnight. in this business there are cow men and theres men who own cattle

I don't think those high over-priced animals are any better than a good quality "no name" animal. Most of the time it's the name (Blah Blah ranch) and which millionaire wants to spend the money that day. Let's face it, your average Joe/Joan farmer can't put $50,000 into one animal and expect to ever make his/her money back. If I ever mortgaged my house and bought some expensive bull or heifer the thing would probably die in the trailer on the way home anyway. :oops:
Like someone else said. Just because you spend the big bucks it doesn't always mean you get a great animal.

ALACOWMAN":377ptcze said:
no one has better cattle or knows more about them. than a doctor or lawyer thats been in the business for a year or so. its funny how money can make you a cow man overnight. in this business there are cow men and theres men who own cattle

Well said!

A fool and his money will soon part ways.

cfpinz

like i posted on a post simlier to this its not the price you pay for cattle.its the quakity of cattle that your buying for the money spent.when you see cows heifers an bulls sale way to high its a backscratch deal.all the big guys buying cattle.so they can have the bragging right of what they paided for cattle.an i for 1 dont go in for that.

lots of times at those big sales were you see bulls go for $100,000.00 they already sold that bull before the sale ever started. They make a deal before the sale then they run the price up to hype the bull and the sale.

Same way with heifers. Many times you will see a heifer that sold in a persons sale show back up a few years later in their breeding program. It was just a lease for a rich kid to show then back to the original owner it goes.