What is the most PURE breed left

Help Support CattleToday:

I'll stick to the Tuli, with 5000 years isolation from European Bos Taurus and Asian Bos Indicus types, the southern African Sanga types already have an advantage in purity, selecting within this genotype and breeding true to type cattle, with no upgrading permitted,has to give a breed as pure as is possible to achieve.

usernametaken":cx962lrf said:
Jovid":cx962lrf said:
I guess that would leave Red Polls as one of the purest breeds that haven't went black. :D :D :D

:lol: You're looking strong Jovid.

What about the Welsh Blacks for purity ? ( they're already black).

Fullblood Welsh Blacks are probably pure. They do the purebred/fullblood thing in their herdbook. Where's rkaiser? He's got one of the bigger herds of registered Welsh Blacks I've ever seen.

Galloways.... I have about 20 right now and about 25 longhorns... wish I could get rid of the longhorns and go straight Galloways. They seem to have the same traits as the longhorns, eat anything, no calving problems, no breeding problems, live forever, and take care of their young (minus heat tolerance).

KANSAS":25qd5421 said:
Galloways.... I have about 20 right now and about 25 longhorns... wish I could get rid of the longhorns and go straight Galloways. They seem to have the same traits as the longhorns, eat anything, no calving problems, no breeding problems, live forever, and take care of their young (minus heat tolerance).

Kansas, you are saying the Galloways don't adjust too well to heat ? I have been wondering about that. Makes sense, knowing the origins. I like the approach their breed association takes.

They can live in the heat.. but I wouldnt say they thrive in the heat. Give them shade and water and you are fine, but I personally wouldnt turn em loose down in West Texas. They lose their hair in the summer and it grows back in the fall. I just had a few that I purchased from Northern regions that I brought in around May and it took them until August for their hair to drop. These cows definitely had a harder time, but I anticipate next year they will be fine.

Latest posts