What is the last " stunt" one of your cows pulled?

Help Support CattleToday:

hehe, the cow I have that throws the giant calves did something vaguely similar... I won't describe it, here's the vid
[youtube]ddw_M0e3Mcs[/youtube]

she's the only one I've seen take the hose and use it as a straw, the rest just lick the stream

Bought a small hereford cow at the salebarn one time, baldy heifer at her side. She was good and solid, nice udder, 3 year old. Heifer turned out real nice too, but when I decided to sell her to get a bigger cow, she just REFUSED to go in the chute. So I got the water hose to spook her a little bit(seemed like a good idea at the time) and after a while she just laid down and let us spray her. We finally got her in the chute and into the trailer after a couple hours though. Can't even remember her name.

One of my heifers now, a big brangus pet, really has a thing for the cubes we feed and chases us to get them. One day my grandfather didn't feed her fast enough and she decided it would be smart to butt him a little bit. Needless to say she got a foot in the side. Hasn't done it since.

Couple of years ago, we were getting a bull calf in the chute to sell and he decided to try to turn and get stuck in the chute sideways. We ended up calling a couple guys to help us. Ended up pulling the tail and pushing it to get him straightened out.

Had one heifer waaay back ago that would jump the cattle guard constantly to graze on the other side. Needless to say we sold her.

I had one brangus cow that grew to be such a picky eater we sold her off too. She would only eat Bermuda hay and cubes, and the other cows always shoved her off so she ended up getting pretty poor before we sold her.

And, I swear to this day I have never seen a cow jump as high as the one I have today. She's a Speckle Park cross, named her Jane, and the first week we bought her we were trying to get her in the chute to worm her and she jumped the gate, and the gate's about 6 foot, and just hightailed it out of the corral. But now she's calmed down a whole lot and won't spook for anything. Blame it on the hotshots at the salebarn. But she has a set of legs on her.

We just send a 2 year old bull to the slaughter house, and on they way I dropped off a cow at the sale barn, and the bull loaded into the horse trailer just fine, the cow, not so much... now unfortunately, the bull also needed to unload first, which was a little challenging without unloading the cow as well, and the bull had turned some sort of ornery after the ride... when I was at the sale barn, I was talking to the lady who takes care of it and told her the story, and then remembered she had to deal with that bull's father when he came through, and he just about thrashed the place... she's seen over 10,000 head of cattle since then and she remembers that bull well... he.. erm, left an impression.

Here are 2 stunts that the same cow has pulled..

using a straw to drink...
[youtube]ddw_M0e3Mcs[/youtube]

and throwing a 140 lb bull calf in 2 minutes
[youtube]GwcnbPEmnRs[/youtube]

When I was smaller there was a heifer that we bottle feed. So after awhile she became a pet. We decided to keep her for a yearling, so she was so happy with us that she would actually give us hugs. She would jump up with her front legs cross them on our shoulders like a hug and put all her weight on her back feet. I though Dad was nuts when he told me that until it happen to me. Scary feeling when a 900lb yearling gives you a hug. :lol:

About 2 years ago, the same cow would let my little nephew ride on her back. She would take him around the pen 2 times and bring him right back to us. Must think she is part horse.

jka300":2f4egfky said:
When I was smaller there was a heifer that we bottle feed. So after awhile she became a pet. We decided to keep her for a yearling, so she was so happy with us that she would actually give us hugs. She would jump up with her front legs cross them on our shoulders like a hug and put all her weight on her back feet. I though Dad was nuts when he told me that until it happen to me. Scary feeling when a 900lb yearling gives you a hug. :lol:

About 2 years ago, the same cow would let my little nephew ride on her back. She would take him around the pen 2 times and bring him right back to us. Must think she is part horse.

Hate to tell you, but you weren't "hugged", but "humped"..... :shock:

I've had a bunch of calves try that with me... not a good habit for them to get, and it's hard for them to unlearn it... I have one heifer I can't turn my back on for fear of her display of affection... and she's 1300 lbs

We had a cow that would some how always get out in the bean field that was fenced in next to the pasture. We would drive by and see her out there eating beans, so we would call all the cows up to the gate leading to the field. Every time we would call them she would some how be in with them like she teleported into the pen. So one day she was out there, so instead of calling them all up to the gate, I went down there to her, and had dad call. When he started calling she calmly walked down the fence line to the the creek, where she walk threw the panels that were ment to keep them in. She was basically using it as a doggie door to get to the beans, and then back to the pasture when ever needed.

I can tell you one thing...she sure was fat after that stunt... :lol2:

If cows know one thing, it's how to get out of where they're supposed to be... I'm certainly glad I have a 2 wheeled horse to help with getting them back to where they're supposed to be... I had to last week when I suddenly heard mooing from a location I didn't expect

Bought a first calver at the sale barn a few months back that had just weaned a calf off and would charge at the gate if we got too close. I was originally going to take her back but she found a weak spot in the fencing and just bounded over it like a deer and the yearling heifer I bought the same day went straight with her.

Funny thing is she's calmer and comes up to feed closer and more than the heifer does so who knows. If she throws a good calf this time around she might just stay.

Though she doesn't do it any longer, one of our Dexter cows (they're like our pets) learned how to come up to me in the pasture, grab my shorts and pull them down to my ankles. All summer long I had to go out holding the waist of my pants. She did it a couple of times when we had visitors over. I won't be including a video.

One of my colombian friends had a pet cow, and one day he was taking a drink from the creek when she came up behind him and nosed his butt... he fell into the creek head first

:welcome: :bang:
demotyvacija.lt_COW-STUNT-_130463518458.jpg

Can't remember if I mentioned this before.. I had one yearling heifer who was cleaning up the manger of all the sticks, and she'd eat a mouthful of sticks, then take a couple licks of the salt block to get some better flavour.

My late born bull calf this year knows who 'daddy' is... he goes and lays down by daddy as often as he lays down with mom... and he doesn't just lay nearby, he lays down right under dad's chin... I don't think I've ever seen that before, or at least so often and evident. Like begets like I guess, they certainly look similar.

We were weighing calves recently...
Now I've gotta say, calm animals are sort of a point of pride for us. After a really smooth morning of sending calves waltzing down the chute like pros we had to turn our backs for one second (probably to comment on how great things were going)
We hear a serious ruckus annnnnd...

He is upside down AND backwards. How on earth...

Our dairy cow also got pretty good at opening the gate latch with her mouth and one morning we find her missing. Now a few years ago (being a college farm) the biology department bought some zoo quality ungulate toys for our boars in to see if they would reduce aggression for us when we handle them (it really worked). One of the toys hangs from the boar pen roof and they pull on a rope to dispense a little treat. The dairy cow was over by the boars pulling on the rope and dispensing treats for one of our boars. When we walked up they were nose to nose :)

How'd you get that guy out of there? did he manage on his own or did it take a tow truck? I have one cow that will do anything to get out of the chute... She remembers the last time she went down it she was sent to the vet to get dehorned and certainly seems to remember the route... that pic could be of her

Looks like the backwards upside down guy musta done a backflip in the chute.
About 6 years ago, my wife parked her little low slung white sports car outside the yard fence and one of the Chars came by during the night and dropped a nice big stinky pile right on the hood. She wasn't too pleased when she went out the next morning to leave for work.
Somehow--as always--that was my fault.

Not really a stunt, but just plain weird. I was plowing snow and opened the gate into the corral to pull some snow out, left the gate open, no cows came out, picked up a bale of hay, brought it back, stopped to pull off the twine, of course they all came nosing over. I got back on the tractor, pushed through them and dumped the bale in a hay ring. Behind me 3 or 4 of the buggers were standing in the open gate. I holler at them to get the **** out of there and back in the corral. THEY DID! :shock:

They knew where the hay was... they certainly weren't listening to you :p

No, in all actuality, they do listen... One of my notorious fence-stretchers knows exactly what I mean when I yell "get your head out of there"... she does take her head out... of course she walks 50 feet further away and does it again...

Latest posts