What is the last " stunt" one of your cows pulled?

Help Support CattleToday:

hehe, I now always assume when I drive by a place and an animal looks dead, that it's just really comfy and sleeping... the cow I described earlier actually liked to have her head underneath the lowest rail of the corral as well.

My big fat lazy steer this year doesn't bother getting up when a complete stranger comes by..

hooknline":1tgh8t1m said:
Not really a stunt, but I got a steer that's so lazy he will poop while laying down. I've heard of not liftin tails, but not while lying down. He's not sick..just a lazy sob

I have a cow who does this too. I have seen her calves in the past couple of years suck on her when she is laying down also.

We've had a couple cows over the years with twins, and in the middle of the calves sucking, she'd lay down.. it was just the only way she could get rid of them

After Hurricane Alicia, I was down by the cow trough by the windmill taking a bath. We had the windmill fixed up where the water ran into the trough and any overflow went into the stock pond. I had fixed it up so I had a makeshift shower down by the pond. Just got all soaped up ...you get the pic a face full of soap. Next thing I know a large head, under my rear, lifted me off the ground and away I flew into the stock tank. Didnt hurt me, somehow that big ole Limousin bull turned me into a Disney World ride.

He then proceeds to get a drink of water at my makeshift shower, and then ambles off to his ladies. We are around these animals everyday, and sometimes I think we forget just how strong these animals are.

houstoncutter":1o7ntrgc said:
After Hurricane Alicia, I was down by the cow trough by the windmill taking a bath. We had the windmill fixed up where the water ran into the trough and any overflow went into the stock pond. I had fixed it up so I had a makeshift shower down by the pond. Just got all soaped up ...you get the pic a face full of soap. Next thing I know a large head, under my rear, lifted me off the ground and away I flew into the stock tank. Didnt hurt me, somehow that big ole Limousin bull turned me into a Disney World ride.

He then proceeds to get a drink of water at my makeshift shower, and then ambles off to his ladies. We are around these animals everyday, and sometimes I think we forget just how strong these animals are.
Houston....I betcha he looked around at his ladies and said "Watch This". :lol2: :lol2:

houstoncutter":12llbu6r said:

I had a cow air lift me over a feed trough the same way. They have no idea how strong they are. Or do they?
What amazes me is how quite a 1200 lb animal can be.

I've been airborne from a 400 lb calf bunting me

As for stunts, a couple more...

a few months back when the calves were all young, I saw one calf stealing milk from a cow, while that cow's calf was stealing milk from the first thief... got a chuckle out of that

Also, my "horse" as you may remember, is the most alert of all the cows, whenever there's anything to be seen, she sees it, grain buckets for sure, but if you see her looking with her ears in a direction, you'd best look there too... yesterday there was a black bear eating saskatoon berries about 1/4 mile away and she was paying great attention to him... she spots every coyote, grouse, bear or cougar in the area... funny thing is one of the laziest and the last (you'd think) to notice anything

I got a pretty cute (and good sized) Highland Bull that will break through the fence, sneak up on anyone with the back turned and nibble your shirt, pants, whatever... I think it actually has a sense of humour. You want a see kid jump, have a calf give them a nibble around the campfire at night.... I love the entertainment, but it has become an escape artist at a young age. That includes helping itself in the garden.

I have a couple cows from one line who always have their heads through the fence... a couple of time I snuck up on them and laid the boots the the butt.. and now, they know what it means when I say "Get your head out of the fence".... a few others who get a bit too jealous when I give another cow some attention know what it means when I say "Be nice"... they'll be coming with their head down ready to butt the other one out of the way and after I say it they slow down and come nicely

once I had one of them who perpetually stepped on my feet, and this particular time I was feeding, carrying a bale and cutting it open in the manger when she stepped on my left foot and started leaning on it.. I backed up as far as I could and gave her a punch in the snout with all I had in me... she backed up... rocked her jaw side to side as if to relocate it, and went back to eating... this was what is now my oldest cow, it was about 12 years ago and she's 15 now... she has NEVER again stepped on me, so you can't say she didn't know what she was doing the other times

Most recent, cow jumped the fence smashing it to the ground, began eating Kathys flowers and tramping down the small fruit trees.That was thursday and she went to the sale barn the next tuesday. End of story.

Just remembered a couple other small stunts my cows have pulled

My heifer Mega, when she was cleaning up the leftovers in the manger, would lick a couple leaves and stems up, then go to the salt block and lick it a couple times, and go back to eating a mouthful of hay... I guess she figured out that salted food tastes less bland

same heifer, I tried feeding her some carrots and potatoes, and she HATED them, so I'd put a piece in her mouth, she'd try to spit it out, so I'd keep my finger in the side of her mouth so she couldn't, finally she's chew it.. I'd leave, and it turns out she just stuck it under her tongue... she spat it back out... since then she has learned that they do in fact taste good and likes them

My old cow has been getting a bucket of COB twice a week, and she's really hot for it and will eye me at a quarter mile to see if I'm carrying the bucket (she hasn't kept track that it's on wednesdays and sundays that she gets the bucket), however, last sunday she spotted me with the bucket, and I wasn't walking toward her (I was walking east, and she was northeast of me), she started walking, but not toward me, she walked due south so as to intercept my path.. I was pretty surprised at that, I should put her in a physics class... if person A leaves point A at 3 MPH and person B.........

Nesikep":37ddhuf9 said:
Just remembered a couple other small stunts my cows have pulled

My heifer Mega, when she was cleaning up the leftovers in the manger, would lick a couple leaves and stems up, then go to the salt block and lick it a couple times, and go back to eating a mouthful of hay... I guess she figured out that salted food tastes less bland

same heifer, I tried feeding her some carrots and potatoes, and she HATED them, so I'd put a piece in her mouth, she'd try to spit it out, so I'd keep my finger in the side of her mouth so she couldn't, finally she's chew it.. I'd leave, and it turns out she just stuck it under her tongue... she spat it back out... since then she has learned that they do in fact taste good and likes them

My old cow has been getting a bucket of COB twice a week, and she's really hot for it and will eye me at a quarter mile to see if I'm carrying the bucket (she hasn't kept track that it's on wednesdays and sundays that she gets the bucket), however, last sunday she spotted me with the bucket, and I wasn't walking toward her (I was walking east, and she was northeast of me), she started walking, but not toward me, she walked due south so as to intercept my path.. I was pretty surprised at that, I should put her in a physics class... if person A leaves point A at 3 MPH and person B.........

Sounds like my cows when they think I have a bucket of cake. You cannot tuen your back on them they will run you down.

my calves will eat my shirt off my back if I let them, and on occasion, I take off the old gum boots and the get all filled up with slobber... I really have no idea what they think smells so good about them

This one involved most of my calves. They caught a skunk walking throught their pasture. The calves looked like a bunch of thugs chasing down this stinky thing. Several of the calves got sprayed but it did not even bother them.....they just kept on with running down this skunk. Finally, they trapped it in some brush and stomped it to death. Not sure if it was on purpose or by accident but they squished it dead. I stood out of the way watching this all take place and when they were done fooling with the skunk they came right over to me looking for a pat on the head (like a dog that brings a dead rabbit home and drops it on the porch). I could not even stand to be around them since they stunk so bad. I went into the house after this and my kids and wife darn near threw me out on the porch for the night. Did not realize that I stunk too........lol

I decided to play a trick on my cattle and not feed them within 10 paces of their usual feeding spot, but rather a little ways away (couple hundred yards)... they all went to their usual spot while I drove down, they looked at me rather puzzled, but suddenly one of my real pets, all 1800 potbellied lbs of her came tearing ass toward me (downhill)... Boy was I glad she had good brakes!.. was quite a show.

I bought a 700 pound steer to finish out last year. Brought him home and put him in the feedlot with 2 others and he seemed to settle in with very litle pushing on each other. Just before bed I went out to check on them and he both hind legs through the two bottom bars of the hayring and was stuck. He had laid down on the hay inside of the ring, but I had to get the wife outside to man the hose while I drug the cutting torch out to cut one bar. Thankfully, he laid still the whole time, could have hurt us all three if he got upset.

my horse came over to were we were working on the barn wanting attention but we were to busey
so she picked my sons hammer right out of his nail bags while he was holding a board. well she ran all over the pasture with sam chasing her for his hammer when she finaly let go of it she trots off nayying at us. then about 30 min later she sneeks up on us & steals sams coat . didnt find it till we were brush hogging late that summer

My heifer Mega has been getting a few mouthfuls of grain once in a while, and now she'll leave the manger right after i feed and follow me, stand at the electric fence, and beg with puppydog eyes.. I just HAVE to give her something

The last "stunt" a calf pulled nearly had me bent over in stitches

This month old calf had found a dead twig, and was effectively picking it's nose with it... it wasn't rubbing it's nose on it, it was getting right in there and digging around with this twig... I really wished I had a video camera at that instant... the next day I found her doing it again with the same twig.. still no camera though... I guess they're at the 'toddler' age and I'll have to teach them manners

A friend of mine has dairy cattle, and their heifers are raised in pens where the water comes down from the ceiling in free hanging pvc pipes from which the water is coming out only when they bite around it.
Anyway, one of the heifers found out a way to open it with her nostril, so she puts it in her nostril and drink by letting the water through her nostril instead of through the mouth. She stands with her head high and the pvc pipe into her nose; mouth closed, and one see her swallowing motions. Made me wish for a video camera...

Latest posts