What is the heck is the TWRA thinking?

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
The Tennessee Widlife Resource agency opened up wild hog killing year-round because we are having a huge population explosion and they are causing 1.5 billion in damages. That sounds fine but on the flip side they banned sport hunting of hogs with the exception of a couple of public management areas. Their reasoning is that sport hunting of hogs increases their poularity. The problem is that it only allows the land-owner and 10 designees of the land owners to hunt the hogs. The guy who is hunting deer on his lease but is not a "designee" cannot legally kill a wild hog and faces fines etc. for doing so. So if a hog walks by a deer hunter he can't take the target of opportunity approach. Some of the big leases may have 50 hunters as members but only a maximum of 10 designated by the land owner can kill a wild hog. On the public WMA's that have alot of hogs they do not allow sport hunting on many of them as of this year. The couple that do are restricted to deer season only and dogs cannot be used in November and December.

Why all the restrictions? If we are having a crisis like they say (and I believe them) open hog hunting up to everybody year-round on public areas and if you have permission on private land. It seems taht more will be taken or trapped this way. The new law also makes it illegal for a live feral hog to be transported anywhere. That is a good part of it.

Tux,
Check out the twra web site. In your area there are no hogs yet. They are bad in east tennessee and on the cumberland plateau. There are pockets of them in west tennessee along the river. They have made it to the mountains just east of me. I am in coffee county. They are about 10 miles away so it is just a matter of time.

Landowners may use the following methods without exemption:

Any legal weapon and ammunition for taking big and small game during
daylight hours.
Live traps with bait. Bait may not be used during big game seasons without
an approved exemption. All targeted wild hogs must be dispatched before
removal from the trap.

Landowners will be granted an exemption to the above upon request.

Landowners may request a wild hog methods exemption by two means:
Immediate issuance of an exemption when landowners provide information to
agency personnel on the phone. The exemption form number issued will serve
as their proof of exemption until the hardcopy arrives by mail.
Landowners may visit a regional office or request an officer visit to complete a
request for exemption
Landowners, family members legally allowed to hunt the property without a license,
and up to 10 designees may assist in the control effort provided by the methods exemption. No more than 10 individuals may be used as designees annually, as defined by the TWRA's fiscal year.
The exemption will allow shooting at night with the aid of artificial light, shooting over bait during big game season, or any other methods, approved by TWRA. Dogs may be used as part of the experimental management program in Overton, Fentress, Cumberland and Pickett counties, but no dogs may be used during November or December.
Landowners must keep accurate records of total number of hogs killed on their property. This information must be provided to the TWRA on the provided Wild Hog Methods Exemption Report form provided by the agency within one month of exemption expiration.

Possession of wild appearing hogs

Possession or transportation of live wild-appearing hogs, without documentation from the Tennessee Department of Agriculture indicating such swine originated from a legal captive source, is prohibited.

Heck fire, I'd like to be somebodies designee for a hog hunting exemption.

Trust Me, we in Tn. are quit glad for you to stay in Texas, we have enough people come from ever where else.... :lol2:

Latest posts