What is the diff between a 400 lb calf and a 600 lb?

Help Support CattleToday:

gizmom":4s8t0q6e said:
We attended a cattlemens college program that discussed marketing. Every time I attend a program like this I pick up something, sometimes it's something I already knew but had just forgotten about. They had a panel discussing how to get the best price for your calves, and all on the panel agreed proper health care vaccinations, bunk broke etc. The barn manager then said don't tell my guy as you unload the trailer that oh yea they have had all there shots. He recommended contacting the barn a few weeks prior to bringing the calves, let them know what your bringing, what vaccinations they have had how long they have been bunk broke. This allows the barn management time to alert buyers that are in the market for that type of calf. Bottom line develop a business relationship with your sale barn. This is something we should all do.

Gizmom
Agree on the heads up for calves that have had some "extras" done. Our sale barn will also even advertise that they have such and such there, and they will call some of the buyers, and many of the buyers will call them and ask if they have anything there that they can use....So yeah, it does help to let them know if you will have a number of cattle that have had certain vacs or weaned etc. They will also announce it when they come in the ring, and if you have given them the vacs, brand, etc, they will tell that. Sometimes it does help. Selling in groups of 5-or more also will often bump the price a few cents.

Latest posts