What is the correct length show stick?

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
My daughter started showing last summer. She was ten then. She showed in the youngest 4H bottle calf class. It's more of a question/answer what you have learned class. She got reserve for her age group. The judges reason was that she was the most knowledgeable about her calf, but that she should have had a stick and attempted to set the calf up. (This was a very simple No Fitting allowed class)
I have an unbelievable commercial cattle background,but have never showed. So I'm learning as we go.
My daughter is almost 5' tall. I have been told show stick length depends on a person's height. Others say animal size. And still others say arm length.
What is right?

Thank you everyone for your help.

You should follow JG Cattle on facebook,. they do a lot of showing.. He likes a long stick as it lets you have more reach more naturally
https://www.facebook.com/jgcattleco/

Specifically this video goes into it, and how to not fumble the stick
https://www.facebook.com/jon.gevelinger/videos/10157425330411070/?t=0

My daughter just started showing Longhorns and has a FFA steer. We use a 54" stick but she is 5'7". You want a medium to long range stick when you are taller but you need a longer stick if you are shorter. This gives you a better reach for the hind feet when setting them up.

You need to take both her height and size of animal shown into consideration. When it comes to showmanship, you really shouldn't have to move those back feet much, so that's really not the singular way to gauge the size of stick needed. Having said that, a good showman will need to be able to reach back to set a tail head or loin down a top if necessary, so they want a stick length that facilitates that... For the most part, look for a stick that enables the showman to scratch the animal's belly with the stick arm down low and grasped about 1/3 of the way down the stick. On the move, you want that stick the right length to be held up, slightly out in front of the showman, again just below the handle grips. Keep arena size in mind too. I personally almost always use a really long stick even though I'm 5'7", but in a smallish show ring, that just doesn't always work.

Clear as mud, right?!?! This is why most people have an arsenal of sticks! Figure out which length your showman likes to carry on the move. Then pick a couple more, one a little longer and one a little shorter to accommodate various sized cattle and how they need to be shown. You may well have a big yearling heifer on the lead, but if she never needs her back feet messed with and prefers a brisket scratch over a belly scratch, you may need to go with just a bit shorter stick.

I bought my daughter an adjustable one, so it would grow with her.

Too much stick for smaller kids can be a lot for them to handle. Your daughter may be old enough to handle a longer one.

People often put a shorter show stick with a smaller exhibitor because it looks balanced and proportional, but the opposite is true. You actually need a longer stick so you can reach your calf's loin and hind hoof better. If you're tall, however, you should stick in the medium to large range.

The above information is a good place to start, but as Kirk Stierwalt said, "It's probably better to go a hair too long when picking your show stick because you'll run into issues if it's too short."

When you purchase a show stick that is the right length for you and your calf, it will be a lot easier to exhibit your calf with confidence!

Latest posts