What is the BW of your calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjohn

Reaction score
What is the birth weight of your calves?
Please list the breed and age of the cow, as well as the sex of the calf.
For example:

Black Angus 5 yr old: bull calf 100 lbs
Black Angus 2yr old heifer: heifer calf 75#

Well, I can give you averages from last year

Heifers calves - 85#
Bull calves - 95#

All out of Hereford, Shorthorn, Angus and crosses. Avg cow weight 1200#

So far our only calf this year is

Angus x Hereford 2 year old bred Hereford - 46# bull calf. But he's premature.

I've had the 1st 15 calves this week. All weigh between 70 and 80 pounds :D :D :D Black Angus.

Oh yeah to answer your question. The smallest calf is a 70 pound heifer from a first calf 2 year old. And twin 70 lb bull calves from 7 year old cow. The rest are from 3 to 5 year old cows. All easy births. I hope my luck continues.

We weigh all of our new calves within 48 hours of birth. Our "Range" of weights over past 5 years has been 45 - 73#. Our "average" calf weight is around 55#.

Along with a large pelvic area, another reason purebred Longhorns are easy calvers. And, if a LH is cross-bred with an English or Continental breed these "easy calving" genetics are passed on.

University studies of many breeds and hundreds of live births point to 99.7% unassisted calving with Longhorns.

Longhorns crossed with Charlolais are especially good producers of calves that usually do not take "a hit" at the sale barn (if that's where you're selling them). Breeding most any polled non-Longhorn cattle to a Longhorn will usually produce a polled calf, since the horn genetics are generally suppressed by a polled cross-breeding.

If one's commercial breeding program (for sale barn calves) has a 20% pulling history and a 1-2% calf death rate, you can take a lot of price discounting at the sale barn to make up for lost calves and/or expenses, problems with pulling calves, etc.

Then, as a "bonus" the Longhorn genetics are naturally resistive to most common cattle/calf illnesses and diseases that produce sickly calves. Of course, preventive vaccinations and de-worming are always in order for any breed of cattle.

Our "Longhorn Medicine Cabinet" includes: Betadine, Scarlet Oil, LA-200 (just in case), and Bag Balm (for our weather-beaten hands), and Tetanus Toxoid (when we band a bull calf).