WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO TREAT SALE BARN BABY CALVES FOR SCO

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

ALOT OF PEOPLE BUY BABY CALVES AT THE SALE AND IN A FEW DAYS THEY USUALY GET SICK AND GET SCOURS I BUY SOME CALVES I USUALY GIVE THEM GENTOCIN& PROBIS PILLS AND THAT SEEMS TO KEEP THEM GOING DOES ANYONE ELSE KNOW WHAT TO GIVE THEM ???
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Gentocin is the antibiotic Gentomycin, one of the most powerful antibiotics in existence. In humans who are gravely ill and in an ICU where other antibiotics have failed and Gent absolutely must be used, Gent often causes deafness. The use of Gent in any livestock, other than gravely ill animals, is something to be avoided. It takes something like 40+ days to clear Gent from an animal's system and there are lasting side effects from the medication. <p>The indiscriminate use of Gentomycin by livestock owners and/or veterinarians is very likely going to cause it to be made unavailable for use in animals very soon. <p>Gent is an antibiotic of last resort. Please do not use it as a first choice antibiotic.
<br>

Mike,Linda is right about the Genticin. It can be detected in the pancreas for up to two years. Try Nuflor and Triple Sulfa or SMZTMP.<br>. <p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":swy8lbb0 said:
: ALOT OF PEOPLE BUY BABY CALVES AT THE SALE AND IN A FEW DAYS THEY USUALY GET SICK AND GET SCOURS I BUY SOME CALVES I USUALY GIVE THEM GENTOCIN& PROBIS PILLS AND THAT SEEMS TO KEEP THEM GOING DOES ANYONE ELSE KNOW WHAT TO GIVE THEM ???<p>I'm just a small town farm girl, but as soon as I buy them I treat them as if they are ill, anyway. I have learned through a lot of trail and error. Upon arrival home, I give the shot for four days, and electrolite feedings anywhere from 12-24 hours and if all is well, I begin the milk. At any sign, no matter how small, of scours<br>I withdraw the milk immediately! If it appears to be taking longer to get over the scours and calf is loosing weight, I give it a shot of Kero syrup. I know it sounds silly, but it does work. Oh yeah, I also idoine the naval at arrival home. These are just a few of the tricks some good ol farmers have shared with me.<p>One more thing, watch the scours real close in hot humid weather, magnets can form and that one is really awful to get through.<p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":3oo8efpl said:
: ALOT OF PEOPLE BUY BABY CALVES AT THE SALE AND IN A FEW DAYS THEY USUALY GET SICK AND GET SCOURS I BUY SOME CALVES I USUALY GIVE THEM GENTOCIN& PROBIS PILLS AND THAT SEEMS TO KEEP THEM GOING DOES ANYONE ELSE KNOW WHAT TO GIVE THEM ???<p>Whenever I buy a bob calf at the auction I immed. treat the calf with sulamet oblets for three days as a precautionary measure. I haven't lost one since I strarted doing this. If should scour, I use an electrolyte soulution called "Deliver" which works great<p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1svag4rc said:
: I'VE BEEN RAISING BABY CALVES OFF OF THE MAMA'S AND BOUGHT FROM THE SALE BARN FOR YEARS. I'VE FOUND THAT NOT JUST ONE MEDICINE WILL WORK ALL OF THE TIME. I USE SUSTAIN 3 BOLUSES MOST OF THE TIME WITH LOTS OF LUCK. THE OTHER TRIED AND TRUE MEDICINES ARE AS FOLLOWS: NUTMEG SPRINKLED ON FEED, PEPTO BISMO, AN EGG AND SURE JELL IN THE MILK, AND THE ONE THATS WORKED FOR THE LAST FEW TIMES I'VE HAD THE SCOURS ARE IMODIAM AD! I GET THE LIQUID IN THE EQUATE BRAND AT WALMART BECAUSE ITS CHEAPER. ADD IT TO THE MILK AND IT TAKES CARE OF IT PRETTY GOOD!<p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":je5x5ca8 said:
: : I'VE BEEN RAISING BABY CALVES OFF OF THE MAMA'S AND BOUGHT FROM THE SALE BARN FOR YEARS. I'VE FOUND THAT NOT JUST ONE MEDICINE WILL WORK ALL OF THE TIME. I USE SUSTAIN 3 BOLUSES MOST OF THE TIME WITH LOTS OF LUCK. THE OTHER TRIED AND TRUE MEDICINES ARE AS FOLLOWS: NUTMEG SPRINKLED ON FEED, PEPTO BISMO, AN EGG AND SURE JELL IN THE MILK, AND THE ONE THATS WORKED FOR THE LAST FEW TIMES I'VE HAD THE SCOURS ARE IMODIAM AD! I GET THE LIQUID IN THE EQUATE BRAND AT WALMART BECAUSE ITS CHEAPER. ADD IT TO THE MILK AND IT TAKES CARE OF IT PRETTY GOOD!<p><br>Seems to me, I have heard these very same methods also. Thanks for sharing them, I like to know that if I am having problems, some of the remedies can be found right within my home.<p>Have you ever used yogurt in the milk? I have found some relieve with plain yogurt as well.<p><br>
<br>

Latest posts