What is the best way to control flies?

Help Support CattleToday:

garseer

Reaction score
Seems the flies are already starting this year and I am just curious what everyone uses to control them especially in and around East Texas? Is there anything on the market that you can actually spray on them and kill them dead?

:bang:

I use an IGR mineral and keep a couple diesel rubs up in high traffic areas. When needed I spray my cows with at least a 5% permethrin spray. I don't think just one thing is completely effective alone.

B&M Farms":louoxedd said:
I use an IGR mineral and keep a couple diesel rubs up in high traffic areas. When needed I spray my cows with at least a 5% permethrin spray. I don't think just one thing is completely effective alone.

Same here. The IGR mineral is more effective if put out plenty early. Rotating pasture helps also. I'll move them late in evening or early morning. Takes the flies a while to find them.

fitz

I have a Crystalix tub out and I also spray the 5% Permethrin as well when I am home. I may try the fly tags as well. I have seen them pretty bad last year, but don't seem to be as bad now. I wished there was something that could be sprayed and kill instantly.

Thanks

My problem with ear tags is that too many producers don;t remove them after a couple of months when they lose their effectiveness. Seems that it would just contribute to resistence to them after a while

If you can rotate your cattle and run chickens right behind them it works pretty well over time but I realize everyone can't do this. Chickens eat the fly larvae which obviously cuts down on flies. The chickens also scratch around the cow manure spreading it more evenly while leaving their own droppings to help fertilize the pasture. I haven't seen much a chicken won't eat. We think we lost one to quikcrete! I mixed some up for some fence post and I think one of the chickens got into it right after I poured it in the hole around the post. Don't know for sure but I guess it could have killed her.

garseer":lk260zqc said:
Seems the flies are already starting this year and I am just curious what everyone uses to control them especially in and around East Texas? Is there anything on the market that you can actually spray on them and kill them dead?

:bang:

We just make sure there is an open place with a hill - the breeze helps

Bez

dun":2f3kc7l3 said:
My problem w ear tags is that too many producers don;t remove them after a couple of months when they lose their effectiveness. Seems that it would just contribute to resistence to them after a while

I don't. Reason is I want two ear tags. If they lose one and my cows get out on the neighbors I can ID them.
None of my neighbors at tag at all.

I too live in East Texas (NE really--Upshur County). I tried the XP 820 fly tags last spring and the flies just disappeared--it was almost scary! They are working this year too, will rotate to whatever the company that makes them recommends next year. I put two tags per cow, one per calf (I put them on the back of the ear). Require a Y Tex tagger. I replaced them after three months last summer and the cows were blissfully fly-free all season long. They sure have made my life easier, had tried all the sprays, rubs, etc.......these tags really work, it's a fairly new chemical I believe. I got mine from Livestock Concepts. And these tags are dry and don't smell, I at first thought there was something wrong with them but that's how they are. You'll love them.

Forgot to mention that the XP 820 tags apparently don't affect the little parasitic wasps, if you have those, as I do. I can't figure out what the little guys are eating since there are virtually no flies, but there are still plenty of the little wasps on the manure. The little dung beetles are fine too.

Latest posts