What is the best small tractor for a small farm?

Help Support CattleToday:

tulsagreenhorn

Reaction score
OK, I dont think my Jubilee will move a round bale safely so I will save some money up and get another tractor next summer if i can. What do you reccomend as far as a small 40 HP or so tractor to do some brush hogging and other jobs? I know that is like asking if a Chevy or Ford truck is better, but I would like to get some opinions from everyone here. Thanks

tulsagreenhorn":2pn3mevp said:
OK, I dont think my Jubilee will move a round bale safely so I will save some money up and get another tractor next summer if i can. What do you reccomend as far as a small 40 HP or so tractor to do some brush hogging and other jobs? I know that is like asking if a Chevy or Ford truck is better, but I would like to get some opinions from everyone here. Thanks
id suggest you get a 45 to 50hp tractor.color doesnt matter.as long as it does what you want it todo.

Are you set on a small tractor? Anything just big enough to move round bales with a front bucket is going to cost a bunch of nickels. They are in high demand. Mostly because they are easy to load on trailers and such.

I bought a Massey that has a 100 HP PTO, the front bucket lifts 2 round bales easily, and only paid $5K for it. I come out of the pasture with two bales in front and one on the 3 point all the time.

Look long and look hard. It could be that you find a bigger tractor much cheaper.

It also is going to depend on what you are doing with it. The big boys don't do well in tight places.

I have seen ads in the bargin post for new massey ferguson tractor packages that come with tractor, trailer, brush hog, and box blade for 14K I think, its been a while since I looked. I know that is a good chunk of change, but I have also looked at used Ford tractors, 4000 and 5000 series that are around 7-8k. I think it might be a better investment to buy a brand new tractor for a little more than a 20-30 year old tractor.

Well, think about it for a few minutes and ask yourself if there is anything in the future that will require a little bigger tractor? For example, will you ever use it to pull a round baler? If so, then you will need a minimum of 70 PTO hp. What about remote hydraulics (for a loader or perhaps a log splitter)?

I agree with previous posts that color doesn't really matter all that much. I don't know anything about the Japanese or India tractors but parts for all of the major American brands are readily available from numerous outlets.

Good luck on your search.

I bought a 05 JD 990 Diesel 4 X 4 39HP 35 PTO....its too small. I should have bought a larger HP Tractor. I would suggest through consideration on your part, as to what you anticipate this piece of equipment being used for in the future, and purchase accordingly. TRM

Kubota has a number of tractors in your range that are all good....bigger be better though....hydraulics are great for pto as well as front end loader and you can get a hydro transmission that really cuts down on clutch wear.... i have an M9000 and i really wail the be nice out of it....ain't broke it after two years so it's a good un.

I have cows and 30 acres, and I purchased a Mahindra 3510, and it does all that I need it to do. Cost is reasonable, tractor, bucket, bush hog, was $16000. Lifts a large round bale with ease.

Earl Thigpen":2xzrb9z7 said:
Well, think about it for a few minutes and ask yourself if there is anything in the future that will require a little bigger tractor? For example, will you ever use it to pull a round baler? If so, then you will need a minimum of 70 PTO hp. What about remote hydraulics (for a loader or perhaps a log splitter)?

I agree with previous posts that color doesn't really matter all that much. I don't know anything about the Japanese or India tractors but parts for all of the major American brands are readily available from numerous outlets.

Good luck on your search.

I pull a round baler with a 135 Massey and move round bales 4x5's. Thats a 42 HP tractor. Thats not my tractor of choice when heading to the hay field but you can do a lot of work with a 40 to 60 hp tractor just a little slower.

Stocker Steve":r7zssds8 said:
Why all the MF fans?

They are pretty rare in this area.

I had one, a little industrial massey, and I liked it. Uncle had a bit more modern massey and I liked it too. He picked up a Kubota and broke the PTO in no time. My only experience with Kubota and it wasn't good. That fix was way too expensive and parts weren't easily attained. I found the Massey I have now and got everything fixed within a day, except the air conditioner. I can live without A/C.

Nothing against a Deere, my track loader is a Caterpillar and my hoe is a Ford extend a hoe.

Massey made a good product and I found one at a bargain. I'm not necessarily a "fan", but when something isn't broke there is no need in trying to fix it. If I could have found an equivalent Deere for the same price I got my Massey, I may have bought it. Who knows?

What I do like about my Massey is I can find parts all over the place. The tractor graveyard 100 miles from here is full of old Case, Deere and Massey tractors amongst everything else. What they didn't have there were the parts to fix my uncle's Kubota. He practically had to buy another 1/4 of a new tractor in price.

Bought a used New Holland TN65 from a dairyman. Price was right and it came with front end loader w/ spear and bucket. Put a spear on back, and this is one hay moving machine. Its cheap to operate, comfortable and will turn on a dime. Seems like I pick it before anything else as long as the job doesn't require more HP. I would definitely purchase another one.

IMG_0920.jpg

Those little New Holland TN's are hard to beat............good luck

More important than color is dealer support and parts availability. Even if you do all your own work you have to get parts. If you are buying a used tractor I would stick to a model with a long production run. Unles you are going to use a small round baler of 4'X4' or less, I would think strongly about a 60- 65 hp tractor in a utility style ( MF 275, Ford 5610 or 5640,JD 2550,2555 )

Latest posts