WHAT IS THE BEST NATURAL DIET FOR QUALITY MEAT CATTLE

Help Support CattleToday:

RAMIREZ

Reaction score
Hi, i want to ask you all what kind of natural feed you recomend to produce quality meat, in beefmaster cattle. I have my ranch in mexico just across the border of texas, and i am just opening a meat market and since i have the cattle i just want to know what could be the best feed. thanks for taking the time to read this. :D

Ramirez,
Explore other meat markets and see what the consumer prefers Some like corn fed and some like grass fed. Some just like beef. There seems to be a trend here for grass fed...I guess the jury is still out as to which is best.

There is a recent thread on here from...I believe..swiss cowboy.....was very interesting for specialty beef. You may wish to do a search.... he had made several interesting post and answered several questions. If I find it I will post. Good luck.

the thing is that overhere the ,meat is not bought localy, the other meat markets bring their meat from monterrey.. but i've heard that corn is one of the best feeds, but would that be the whole corn on the cob, with the satlk and everything, or what is the best way??

Amigo...cattle must chew the corn to break the kernals or it goes right through them, we have found that our cows chew about 20% of whole corn...we buy cracked corn and get much better results....Dave Mc

ANOTHER QUESTION. AND PARTEN THE IGNORANCE, IS HOLSTEIN A GOOD BREED FOR QUALITY MEAT. BECAUSE OVER HERE IN MEXICO THE MILK PRODUCERS SELL DE CALVES VERY CHEAP.

RAMIREZ":2qb76alm said:
ANOTHER QUESTION. AND PARTEN THE IGNORANCE, IS HOLSTEIN A GOOD BREED FOR QUALITY MEAT. BECAUSE OVER HERE IN MEXICO THE MILK PRODUCERS SELL DE CALVES VERY CHEAP.

i suspect they are cheap for a reason... if it was quality beef it wouldnt be cheap...

like the old saying goes.. you get what you pay for ;-)

good luck

jt

RAMIREZ":8mvrsccq said:

I grew up eating holstein. Usually the old cows that split in the barnyard.

I have to be real hungry to eat a piece of holstein nowadays.

Dry, stringy and dang near like jerky. Even if it sits in the marinade for 3 days.

well, assume your talking about OLD cow, we raise holstien and jersey sterrs, other then alot of bone, I prefer them to beef breeds. marbling has always been good. But also lots to do with how you chose to finish them. :cboy:

Susie David":13xath7c said:
Amigo...cattle must chew the corn to break the kernals or it goes right through them, we have found that our cows chew about 20% of whole corn...we buy cracked corn and get much better results....Dave Mc

I don't wish to start an arguement here, but while it is true that they will pass many whole kernels through, they still get the bulk of the nutrients. Less than 10% difference in the utilization of the corn between whole, cracked, or rolled. A lot of the cracked corn passes through the cows too, but it is not as easy to see as the whole corn.

I feed whole corn without any problems.

Latest posts