What is the best milk replacer for calves?????

Help Support CattleToday:

SPEEDY94C

Reaction score
I have raised a lot of calves over the years but havent in 7 maybe 10 years. What is the best milk replacer to use????

thx In advance
Steve in arkansas

There is probably no brand that is better then others. Some prefer non-medicated others prefer medicated. The primary requirements are milk and milk byproducts, no soy, and a minimum of 20% protein and 20% fat.

dun":285jutgr said:
There is probably no brand that is better then others. Some prefer non-medicated others prefer medicated. The primary requirements are milk and milk byproducts, no soy, and a minimum of 20% protein and 20% fat.

Agree with dun. Especially in the case of milk replacer, I believe you get what you pay for.

If a place offers 3 different priced milk replacers, the most expen$ive one is usually the best in the long run. Mixes easier, smells better, etc.

My rule of thumb, if the cats turn up their nose at it, don't feed it to calf. :nod:

FWIW, I've got an open bag of Hubbard Milk Flakes that is several years old out in the porch. :oops: Can't believe it still looks and smells good. :eek:

Don't know what I'm saving it for. I should give it to the cats or to someone raising a bum.

I concur with dun and John.

Having said that.....my 'favorite' replacer is Cow's Match made by Land-O-Lakes. A second choice would be Calf Maker, I think that's a Carnation product. I always prefered non-medicated.

I haven't priced it in a few years, but I know its not cheap. I have 3 baggies in the deep-freeze of some I had leftover from a few years ago. I figure it can't hurt to have it on-hand.

Katherine

RoanDurham":5hrzkss6 said:
higher the fat, the better
Depends on the source and quality of the fat. Land O'Lakes makes a huge number of different brands of milk replacers. Some are trash (per specs) some are excellent.

Latest posts