What is the best cross for pregnacy rates?

Help Support CattleToday:

Uncle Dude

Reaction score
Crossbreed cows usually have higher conception rates compared to pure breed cows. I was wondering which cross works best for you and how high your pregnancy rate is using bulls in the field?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know that any certain cross will guarantee higher PR. It has more to do with the genetics and nutrition of the animals.

Uncle Dude":3ssm3d7y said:
Crossbreed cows usually have higher conception rates compared to pure breed cows. I was wondering which cross works best for you and how high your pregnancy rate is using bulls in the field?

Thanks in advance.
ive only had two types of cross breds that were true F1's that was tigers and simbrahs,,, the the brahman/ herf cross was my most early maturing of the two due too the hereford im sure, out of the some of the same brahman cows.. the simbrahs would hit another growth spurt or two on me and mature later.. of the two i prefered the brahman/herf crossbred cow... but a angus/ hereford baldy moma is fertile as you can get... great mother's they are the money makers

My guess would be a three way cross. Hereford bull on an Angus cow, and then something like a Wagyu bull on the cross-bred females. :santa: :santa: :santa:

I think the Hereford/Angus cross PROBABLY has the highest fertility unless you go waaaayyy south where Hereford/Brahman probably surpasses it; but actual conception rate has more to do with quantity and quality of grass, herd health, and the mineral program than it does with genetics.

Brandonm22":38byrpgz said:
I think the Hereford/Angus cross PROBABLY has the highest fertility unless you go waaaayyy south where Hereford/Brahman probably surpasses it; but actual conception rate has more to do with quantity and quality of grass, herd health, and the mineral program than it does with genetics.

Genetically speaking, a cross inverses the heredibility, so very low inheritance becomes very high inheritance.

There should be no reason to cross for fertility. Good purebred breeders produce cows that produce a calf a year. Therefore any cross should work. That is why fertility is number one in my book.
When people buy from breeders that do not first demand high fertility in their stock they pass on the bad genetics to others. Since fertility is very low in heritability it simply must be in place when one is building a foundation for their herd.
Having gotten that off my chest, Hereford crossed with just about anything will give an improvement on fertility if you have one.

OK, if I were to cross anything, it would be angus and hereford, or Wagyu with either of those two, or maybe a three way.

RD-Sam":1vtczr5c said:
OK, if I were to cross anything, it would be angus and hereford, or Wagyu with either of those two, or maybe a three way.
I don;t think the angus Hereford cross could possibly fix the no butt from the Wagyu side

dun":nuqj1h2a said:
RD-Sam":nuqj1h2a said:
I don;t think the angus Hereford cross could possibly fix the no butt from the Wagyu side
come on now dun the angus alone should build a robust ass on em aleast a layer or two :cowboy:

alacattleman":ae4m750c said:
dun":ae4m750c said:
RD-Sam":ae4m750c said:
come on now dun the angus alone should build a robust ass on em aleast a layer or two :cowboy:

Bammy...we ain't "building asses" with these crosses...just want cows that will "stick" everytime. I'd definitely use a jersey bull.....it she don't breed it won't be because she wasn't exposed enough....... :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

From my experience, it is whatever cows and heifers you have to be bred and the neighbor's high birth weight, fence jumping, scrub bull. You almost always have 100% conception rate in this scenario.

VCC":1460zr8n said:
From my experience, it is whatever cows and heifers you have to be bred and the neighbor's high birth weight, fence jumping, scrub bull. You almost always have 100% conception rate in this scenario.

Yep...pretty much like trying to raise high dollar dogs....the daddy will usually be the "World Champion Fence Climber".

dun":4urmbcif said:
RD-Sam":4urmbcif said:

Anytime you think of Wagyu, you are not thinking of a nice rump or phenotype, it's all about the meat quality with them. :lol2: Since the US is not as crazy about the cuts from the rear quarter, Wagyu is still a good choice.

RD-Sam":19q96z88 said:
dun":19q96z88 said:
RD-Sam":19q96z88 said:

Anytime you think of Wagyu, you are not thinking of a nice rump or phenotype, it's all about the meat quality with them. :lol2: Since the US is not as crazy about the cuts from the rear quarter, Wagyu is still a good choice.
i understand what your saying on the rear cuts,, but why aint more folks raising those gimlet ass cattle

Because they cost too much money, and there isn't that many people willing to pay the high dollar for the beef.

novaman":2esljc4n said:
I don't know that any certain cross will guarantee higher PR. It has more to do with the genetics and nutrition of the animals.

BINGO !!!!!! Great post Nova.

Also preg check, have a definitive calving season and send all those that do not conceive down the road. All breeds can be fertile, but a cow is only as good as the person managing them.

Btw Gelbvieh is extremely fertile (we have had 100% conception 2 years in a row), and Knersie must have fertile herfs if he has won fertility production awards with his PB herd.

Latest posts