What is she?

Help Support CattleToday:

Grandpa":wwob5b91 said:
The new cow is a replacement for a worn-out cow that I decided to send to the sale; I hope it was a good move as I took a beating on the old one. This one came from the sale as well and is likely someone's cull, but she will give me calves (I hope) for several years.

Grandpa":wwob5b91 said:
dun":wwob5b91 said:
I would classify her as A black cow
This is why I come to this board with questions: all the collective wisdom...not to mention the sarcasm. :lol:

Some other folks saw her picture and were speculating on her genetics, which makes no difference to me. Just got me curious. As far as I am concerned she is just a black cow, one I hope will give me several years of good calves. The one she replaced gave me only two calves, but good ones, then just wore out. Guess she was already old when I got her. Another lesson learned.

You say you have learned a lesson, but are doing alot of hoping that the cull will work out. Do you know how old this "new" cow is, and how was that determined?

Good luck.

No, I don't know how old she is. I just trust this older gentleman who has a good eye. Of the 15 or so he has bought for me over the years, only one turned out to be a lemon, and I just sold her. I don't know that the new one is a cull; a lot of people assume anything bought at the sale barn is a cull. We are still in a pretty severe drought here, and people sell off part of their herd so they can afford to keep the rest going. A neighbor of mine sold all his 5-6 year old cows because he doesn't like to keep them that "old". I bought three of those "culls", and they have done well for me, while he lost two first calf heifers this fall. Nobody knows less about cattle than I do, and every time I get a little ahead something like this follows right behind. You're right; this is a gamble. I thought this whole business was a gamble. Thanks for wishing me luck. I do need it for sure. Glad I don't count on making a living at this.

Give us a little, its a picture of a black cow no key markings or characterists. And you wonder why you get some of the comments. How about got cow from guy who has raised a angus cross herd for 10 years and i think it was crossed with ? that would be a little better then what is she, just saying.

Next time your friend goes to the sale to buy for you--go with him and ask why he thinks an animal is better or worse than others.

I think she looks just fine for what you are doing.

Every cow is someone else's cull. (as copied from someone here's signature line)

If she has a calf for you every year and stays healthy then she can make you some money.

She is not all that bad looking for a commercial cow in a commercial operation to keep an ag exemption. Looks aren't everything. I have a really good looking black baldy cow that raises a smaller calf and is not a great mother. Everyone sees her thinks "front pasture cow" wow what a looker. The beauty queen is taking a ride to the sale very soon. A couple of others of mine are UGLY but raise a huge calf that brings plenty money at the salebarn. I like UGLY cows like that and they usually can be bought cheap at the salebarn because of being less attractive.

Giver her a chance to perform and then decide.

greybeard":1z9yluaq said:
Next time your friend goes to the sale to buy for you--go with him and ask why he thinks an animal is better or worse than others.

:nod:

Was she palpated at the sale barn? If not, I would get her palpated or blood drawn for a pregnancy check, deworm her and deworm her a second time about 6 to 8 weeks later.

Good luck with her.

Around here if she was preg. check at the sale barn she would have been mouthed as well. Hope she wasn't being sold as a weigh cow (slaughter),thats the ones they don't preg. or mouth. :2cents: B&G

She was palpated and supposedly 5 mos. bred. But I don't know how accurate that is as I have bought them before and they calved either a month sooner or a later than what I was led to believe. One cow had a 2 month "premature" calf that was big and healthy. Her teeth were short and solid, which worries me that she might be older than I wanted, but my buyer said she would make a good one. She cost exactly $1,000, pretty much the going rate at this sale barn. She's blended into the little herd just fine and holds her own in the pecking order. Guess I should have posted more and better pictures. Her condition is good; she's very solid. Didn't mean to cause such a debate. Someone saw a pic of her and asked what she was a mix of, and it made me curious. Her job is just to make calves to sell at the barn; nothing more.

Grandpa":zbij8t02 said:
This past year, I bred the 9 to a really good (borrowed) registered polled Hereford bull and hope to have some baldie calves this spring. I plan to keep all or most of his heifer calves and hope to eventually have a herd of 15-20 total, which is all this land and my pocket book can support.

Heck, Grandpa, lets see if the gurus will have a critique of the yearling bull that you bred your cows to:

P2230103-1.JPG

P2230105-1.JPG

George

Well, he certainly isn't in need of worming! :)

Grandpa, you are doing good to breed your cows to that bull. I'm sorry if I offended you with my comment that your cow needed worming.

Grandpa":esqp1jz6 said:
Thanks, Herefords.US. That bull looks even better since he's all grown up now :D

How about a picture! I would really like to see how he grew out!

[/quote] no :p ................. kind of saying she so long her moma left grunt rings having her :lol2:[/quote]

Can I quote you on that saying ? :clap:

I don't have a current photo since he's back with his owner, but here he is not long after I got him at 16 months.
bull3_zpsd6ae13ab.jpg

And here is his daddy if that helps.
papabull_zpseb848ab7.jpg

Latest posts