What is she thinking?

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett

Reaction score
20 month ole Brangus/Hereford gal had her first calf yesterday.......

9018HeiferandCalf.jpg

Anyone up to tagging the calf? :lol2:

You get a rope on her and run to that closest tree in the background. I'll blow the horn from inside your truck when I have the calf done and you can turn her loose. :cboy:

1982vett":cg7jg7nn said:
Anyone up to tagging the calf?

The limbs on the tree are low enough but its a little too far from the calf for me. If you'd had the foresight to plant one next to the calf I'd be glad to help you. If tagging is really something that you think is that important maybe I can hold her attention and you can sneak up behind her and tag the calf. Might want to wear some camo and some sneakers. :lol2:

Don't be scart, go on up there and tag that calf. That lille ole first calf heifer ain't gonna hurt you. :D
And if she does :help: it just means that I was wrong and that is not a problem.. I have been wrong before. :lol2:

Ryder":22qp9k7m said:
Don't be scart, go on up there and tag that calf. That lille ole first calf heifer ain't gonna hurt you. :D
And if she does :help: it just means that I was wrong and that is not a problem.. I have been wrong before. :lol2:

You may be pretty close to right.......I pulled in to drop a roll of hay Wednesday afternoon and she and the calf were laying about a 1000 yards away. She got up and looked several directions and then headed toward a creek that (in the photo) is behind me a ways. By the time I got the hay unloaded, the strings off the hay and the ring around it she had already crossed the creek and was with the other cows... without the calf. At this time I really didn't know exactly which cow it was cause I just can't see that far so I go down to the creek and honk (or blow :mrgreen: ) the horn fingering she will come back across with the others, and she did. The rest of the cows followed me back to the hay and she stayed with the calf. Had another heifer across the creek leading her calf away.

Go back down yesterday afternoon to check on them and all of them but her and her calf are hanging out at the hayring. So I go down to have another look. I think she really is trying to decide if I'm a threat and would rather run than stay. Developing some instincts here I think.

Angus Cowman":1cq8mqnx said:
Do I need to send the gate opener down there to tag that calf??
Naaah. Hate to put you and Jed thru such and inconvenience while she makes the trip. I'll get around to it in a couple months. Only three in the pasture a couple days old and probably be a week or two before the next couple hit. Won't be hard to line em out.

1982vett":3ap4hcll said:
Ryder":3ap4hcll said:

You may be pretty close to right.......I pulled in to drop a roll of hay Wednesday afternoon and she and the calf were laying about a 1000 yards away. She got up and looked several directions and then headed toward a creek that (in the photo) is behind me a ways. By the time I got the hay unloaded, the strings off the hay and the ring around it she had already crossed the creek and was with the other cows... without the calf. At this time I really didn't know exactly which cow it was cause I just can't see that far so I go down to the creek and honk (or blow :mrgreen: ) the horn fingering she will come back across with the others, and she did. The rest of the cows followed me back to the hay and she stayed with the calf. Had another heifer across the creek leading her calf away.

Go back down yesterday afternoon to check on them and all of them but her and her calf are hanging out at the hayring. So I go down to have another look. I think she really is trying to decide if I'm a threat and would rather run than stay. Developing some instincts here I think.

We've got a cow that for the first week if she sees or hears you you takes off for the tall timber with her calf no matter how young it is. After a week she's fine. Last year she finally decided we were ok I guess cause she would hang around and not take off. That was with her 7th calf, slow learner I guess

[
We've got a cow that for the first week if she sees or hears you you takes off for the tall timber with her calf no matter how young it is. After a week she's fine. Last year she finally decided we were ok I guess cause she would hang around and not take off. That was with her 7th calf, slow learner I guess[/quote]

All mine are slow learners or no learners :?

Had me a lil rodeo last Friday. Brangus cow wouldn't let me near her calf. Later I thought I caught her far enough away and not paying attention so I bailed off the ranger and grabbed the calf (ranger was between me and momma). Just as I am squeezing the clamp on the tag she comes barreling around the ranger and almost catches me in the shorts. I dove in the seat and just got grazed....she is one of my tame cows. ;-) might need to borrow the "gate opener" on the next 30. :D

Latest posts