What is she (besides cute)

Help Support CattleToday:

Lunasmom

Reaction score
:lol:
Hi,
Newbie here! Came home with an extra from the auction yesterday....
With sparing of long explanation, the short is amish auction+late entry calf+no numbers/lot/registration info= mama fell in love with a little mystery heifer and left with her in the back of the expedition :lol2:
Seller was not around at time of sale, it was last calf, nobody knows nuthin'.
She is vigorous, healthy and hungry.
We are trying to figure out what this little cutie is. She is a silver/champagne tanish color, not swiss or herford look, if I didnt know she wasnt i would say she body and face type looked like an angus!! I will attach a picture. One random third party person party said he thought when seller was dropping her off he said charlois 'or something '. ( helpful, i know)

Thoughts/guesses/opinions on this cutie?

Secondary question: I am a newbie on calves. Goats and horses are my knowledge base, and am still learning. I dont expect her to fit into 'norms' but the 2 feedings of 2quarts daily isnt touching her hunger it seems. Thoughts on upping the amount? She is 75-80 lbs (give or take) and draining her bottle and bumping for more. She is now 3 days old!
Thanks so much in advance! *scurries away to read more threads*

Suction cups for hooves? Appears she can walk on ceilings.
Local milk replacer salesman always recommends 3 feedings daily.
Claims it improves profit...not sure if he means mine or his.

Lunasmom":2oos2xta said:
Hi, Newbie here! Came home with an extra from the auction yesterday....
One random third party person said he thought when seller was dropping her off he said charlois 'or something '.
(helpful, i know)
"Random" would be blindly dialing on a phone and then asking any person answering to give you an opinion.
This stranger was at the sale, present at drop off and believed he overheard seller say charlois or xxxxxxx.
I'll agree with him and guess angus x charloias crossbred black nosed heifer calf. But that's just a semi educated guess.
Looks like she will be well cared for and :welcome: to the boards. SOB

Son of Butch":17sycysk said:
I'll agree with him and guess angus x charloias crossbred black nosed heifer calf.
FWIW, that would be my guess too

Lunasmom said:
Secondary question: I am a newbie on calves. Goats and horses are my knowledge base, and am still learning. I dont expect her to fit into 'norms' but the 2 feedings of 2quarts daily isnt touching her hunger it seems. Thoughts on upping the amount? She is 75-80 lbs (give or take) and draining her bottle and bumping for more. She is now 3 days old!
I wouldn't feed more of the milk replacer powder than the label recommends. If the calf still acts hungry you can give it some water in the bottle.

dun":120m4vg3 said:
Son of Butch":120m4vg3 said:
I'll agree with him and guess angus x charloias crossbred black nosed heifer calf.
FWIW, that would be my guess too

I'll join that bandwagon as well. She looks very similar to the calves I've had/have that have some Angus and Char in them.