What is it?

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig Miller

Reaction score
I got this today. I've looked through every picture Google has related to seed planters. I'm starting to think it is something else. It belonged to the guys great grandfather he used it a good bit it looks like. All of it works. He had another one that was a little diffrent. It was chain driven with a plow in the front and the wheel in the back.

I think greybeard is on the right track. I was able to find a picture of one like the other one the guy has when I searched for manure spreaders. The guy was set on trading me for something I was selling. I told him I wasn't interested in trading but I'd look at them anyway just to make conversation. But once he uncovered it I knew it was going to my house.

I didn't see a hole or much of if any slot in the bottom or anything that would keep seeds from just falling out, which is why I said manure spreader. Looks like it once had two stobs coming off the shaft as well as the one in the center. The old Cole wooden planters I've seen had a little handle and rod that slid something in the bottom of the hopper to vary an opening for different size seeds.
This one looks to predate anything from Cole..(wooden wheel is really rare) might even be home made.

I say some version of fertilizer distributor, though ones I grew up with included a plow. Similar item comes up in museum in Ms when google images mule drawn fertilizer distributor. In SE late 40's-early 50's fertilizer came in as true bat guano out of South America in 200# bags. This when arrive would be almost like concrete.
A late winter event for local men was to pulverize this with mallets and mix in other ingredient to arrive at desired concentration for said crop. At best this was always lumpy, therefore the stirring mechanism. Could be wrong, I have been before,
W. Lamar Parmer, DVM

wlamarparmer":2tjx9r7r said:
I say some version of fertilizer distributor, though ones I grew up with included a plow. Similar item comes up in museum in Ms when google images mule drawn fertilizer distributor. In SE late 40's-early 50's fertilizer came in as true bat guano out of South America in 200# bags. This when arrive would be almost like concrete.
A late winter event for local men was to pulverize this with mallets and mix in other ingredient to arrive at desired concentration for said crop. At best this was always lumpy, therefore the stirring mechanism. Could be wrong, I have been before,
W. Lamar Parmer, DVM
I think you are correct. Some old timers would place the fertilize in the laid off furrow then slightly covered it before they put the seed on top. I doubt the small amount used would have hurt it but they thought it would. Notice the scraper on the back to cover it with.

I knew y'all would know about it. The other one he has is just like this one but not in this good shape. It also has a wood wheel. I think the wheels may have been homemade andmade much later. I found this pic described as a guano spreader.

wlamarparmer":z0foiqx6 said:
Could be wrong, I have been before,
W. Lamar Parmer, DVM

Not very often I bet.