What is it with this "Black Cow Fever"?

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":1kaaggi0 said:
using that type of bull aint helping matters

highgrit":1kaaggi0 said:
Your choice for a bull is a mistake. I was always told don't use a crossbred bull on crossbred cows. Some weird stuff can happen. In all reality all you need is Brahman, Hereford, and Angus cows. You can make whatever you need with them. I feel Beefmaster, Balancer, Braford, Brangus and all the other crossbred bulls are just that crossbreeds, but to each their own.

Can someone explain why this would be true? My bull is a Beefmaster/Angus cross, but the only signs of BM in him are his ears and the heavy muscling. He is solid black. If I understand correctly, would it be because a BM can be lighter colored and it would be in his genes even if he is black? If that's the case, I will have to live with the results for a few years as he came to me very young & inexpensive, but he is maturing into a well mannered, solid young bull that tested excellent at only 14 mths old.

As I said before, I only have a very small herd and in no way do this to make a living, but the black vs. everything else is just ridiculous from my point of view.

Never been a black fan and never will. I am not going to have a herd of black cattle ever and I think Brangus are fine animals. I am going to have red white face cows so I have option's. I have seen a lot of fads come and go.
I currently run an Angus bull and produce black baldie calves but I still have the option of changing my calf crop color by changing bull's. You don't have that option with a black cow. I get top dollar today for my calves and if the market change's looking for a color I will get the next calf crop.

robertwhite":9fr5z1q5 said:
ALACOWMAN":9fr5z1q5 said:

highgrit":9fr5z1q5 said:
Your choice for a bull is a mistake. I was always told don't use a crossbred bull on crossbred cows. Some weird stuff can happen. In all reality all you need is Brahman, Hereford, and Angus cows. You can make whatever you need with them. I feel Beefmaster, Balancer, Braford, Brangus and all the other crossbred bulls are just that crossbreeds, but to each their own.

Can someone explain why this would be true? My bull is a Beefmaster/Angus cross, but the only signs of BM in him are his ears and the heavy muscling. He is solid black. If I understand correctly, would it be because a BM can be lighter colored and it would be in his genes even if he is black? If that's the case, I will have to live with the results for a few years as he came to me very young & inexpensive, but he is maturing into a well mannered, solid young bull that tested excellent at only 14 mths old.

As I said before, I only have a very small herd and in no way do this to make a living, but the black vs. everything else is just ridiculous from my point of view.

In short, you are compromising consistency and uniformity in your calf crop by using a crossbred bull. Maybe you will get lucky and he will stamp his calves out like a cookie cutter, but the odds aren't in your favor... :2cents:

robertwhite":8nvnn8xv said:
ALACOWMAN":8nvnn8xv said:

highgrit":8nvnn8xv said:

thats great,, good crossbreeding will get you the performance.. but dont expect him to reproduce himself... cant do it.. neither can a a crossbred cow.. but she can deliver a heck of a calf from a purebred bull from a 3rd cross

What people are trying to say - is with a crossbred bull - what you SEE, might not be what he passes on. His phenotype might favor one breed, but he is carrying genes from both breeds & may pass more of one breed characteristics than the other to one calf & the other breed to the next one.

But, IF both parents were exceptional for several generations - and the same TYPE, than he should only possess good genes to pass on to his offspring.

This is true for a purebred animal. You want to SEE the parents. One might be exceptional and the other might be a "dog". Their offspring might LOOK like the exceptional parent, but possesses the genes of the "dog" and they will come back to bite you.

Like right now, Simm x Angus bulls (50/50) are really a hot item. But, the ones that bring the money are out of top genetics from both sides.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1livqydz said:
What people are trying to say - is with a crossbred bull - what you SEE, might not be what he passes on. His phenotype might favor one breed, but he is carrying genes from both breeds & may pass more of one breed characteristics than the other to one calf & the other breed to the next one.

But, IF both parents were exceptional for several generations - and the same TYPE, than he should only possess good genes to pass on to his offspring.

This is true for a purebred animal. You want to SEE the parents. One might be exceptional and the other might be a "dog". Their offspring might LOOK like the exceptional parent, but possesses the genes of the "dog" and they will come back to bite you.

Like right now, Simm x Angus bulls (50/50) are really a hot item. But, the ones that bring the money are out of top genetics from both sides.

Always told all my life buy the best purebred bull you can afford a bad cow hurt's a bad bull is train wreck waitng to happen. Why throw away genetic potential and dollars, he has got to many crayon's out of the box.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":pbg8y6z4 said:
If you have a herd of homo black Angus cows & use a Simme bull - or have a herd of black Simmies & use an Angus bull it's still 50/50 genetics. Should have same calves - IF ALL IS EQUAL quality.
Your best option, instead of playing the black game is MARKET your calves. Don't just bring them to the local sale barn. Market direct to a buyer.
I direct market all blacks & reds to same buyer. Got 1.50/lb avg 710# - local sale had some feeders for 0.90-$1.00. Think what I would have lost. You producers that sit back & depend on a local auction are getting killed. Well, I say that, but maybe it isn't as drastic a difference in "real" cattle country - not "New York". :D
BINGO!! :tiphat:

this is the United States of America and you can raise any breed of cattle you choose, for now anyway.
if you don't like angus and think CAB is a gimmick then thats what makes this country so great, you don't have to raise angus, but if you are wanting the premium that the black cattle are bringing then that narrows your options.

a few months back someone made a joke about a post i made about "black cattle premiums" so i started not to say anything as i have learned not everyone agrees

cross_7":1srcbcgx said:
this is the United States of America and you can raise any breed of cattle you choose, for now anyway.
if you don't like angus and think CAB is a gimmick then thats what makes this country so great, you don't have to raise angus, but if you are wanting the premium that the black cattle are bringing then that narrows your options.

a few months back someone made a joke about a post i made about "black cattle premiums" so i started not to say anything as i have learned not everyone agrees

He77, if you were giving away ice cream and had to get an agreement on what kind to give away to everyone, it couldnt be done..

Limomike":1h2jbycc said:
cross_7":1h2jbycc said:

He77, if you were giving away ice cream and had to get an agreement on what kind to give away to everyone, it couldnt be done..
Boy that's the truth.

get you a homo black limousin bull, he will turn them black and give you a heavier calf at weaning that you are getting now most likely.

Latest posts