What is in the water here?

Help Support CattleToday:

iowahawkeyes

Reaction score
So Hubby was checking cows tonight and saw stuff coming out of a cow. She's not due til April 3. Get her in and the calf is way down in there and Hubby doesn't feel comfortable pulling it. Call the vet and the calf is backwards and dead. BUT>> there is another calf in there yet and okay. So we decide to leave it and see what happens. Our friend is a vet and says it may work. We'll see.....

Can't imagine it'd be very good for the live calf to have a dead one decomposing next to it for the next 3 weeks.

I'm also pretty positive that cow won't be feeling very good with a decomposing calf in her for that much time.

milkmaid":3g4zorn3 said:
Can't imagine it'd be very good for the live calf to have a dead one decomposing next to it for the next 3 weeks.

I'm also pretty positive that cow won't be feeling very good with a decomposing calf in her for that much time.

I'm with you. I would try to get the cow to calve, might save one calf, but main concern should be the health of the cow at this point.

bandit80":12gh2brp said:
milkmaid":12gh2brp said:

I'm with you. I would try to get the cow to calve, might save one calf, but main concern should be the health of the cow at this point.

The thought that passed through my mind is how was it determined that one calf was dead?

We pulled the one calf last night and it was dead. Pulled the other one this morning, dead too. Hopefully the cow lives. :mad: Bad advice from the first vet. :mad:

I f the cervical plug has been disrupted for any reason and the cervix is thus open, a calf usually has about 24 hours before death or uterine infection. If I check and find an open cervix and no labor I usually don't wait long to assist.

G lesamiz, DVM

Latest posts