What is he worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Went to a sale today and seen this bull sell, Angus 15128513.
Built really good and has better than average numbers. For $1050 I thought someone got a good deal. Would you have considered him if you needed a bull?

They had 8 bulls all but 2 were in this price range. Some open yearling commercial heifers went for less than $700.

But some commercial heifers with 2 week old calves went for 1275 - 1425. Some reg. cow/calf pairs 1400-2000. Some bred commercial heifers 800-900.

tom4018":1z8rvz2w said:
Built really good and has better than average numbers. For $1050 I thought someone got a good deal. Would you have considered him if you needed a bull?

They had 8 bulls all but 2 were in this price range. Some open yearling commercial heifers went for less than $700.

But some commercial heifers with 2 week old calves went for 1275 - 1425. Some reg. cow/calf pairs 1400-2000. Some bred commercial heifers 800-900.

Only what someone is willling to pay. Papers don't mean much to a lot of cattrlemen except those in their back pocket.

Caustic Burno":mfi3tmn7 said:
Only what someone is willling to pay. Papers don't mean much to a lot of cattrlemen except those in their back pocket.

I know that, but it just shocked me to see some this cheap after seeing several sales this spring with everything a lot higher. Maybe these people just don't have a good reputation. Thought the commercial heifers were high enough.

tom4018":1zampy0z said:
Caustic Burno":1zampy0z said:

I know that, but it just shocked me to see some this cheap after seeing several sales this spring with everything a lot higher. Maybe these people just don't have a good reputation. Thought the commercial heifers were high enough.

It might also be that no one was at the sale that needed a bull, some one bid low knowing they would have to feed him over the winter.

Caustic Burno said:
It might also be that no one was at the sale that needed a bull, some one bid low knowing they would have to feed him over the winter.

Never thought about that, but a lot of people here breed to get calves this time of the year. The open yearlings were cheap too, maybe somebody don't want to feed them thru the winter.

What is the most you think a nice bred heifer worth? About 3 months bred? They has several of those. A few Reg, and several commercial.

tom4018":2yz0uclc said:
What is the most you think a nice bred heifer worth? About 3 months bred? They has several of those. A few Reg, and several commercial.

I ain't CB but.....it ain't worth much to me unless I know what it was bred to.

I would drop 600 to 750 on a gamble. I am looking right now I have hay figure I will start hitting the salebarns west of here.
Feed them through the winter and sell a cow calf pair next spring when the grass is green.

tom4018":2ugrxs31 said:

How did he look? Was he well grown out? I don't see anything wrong with his pedigree. Based on his EPDs, I'd consder him for a herd bull if I needed one. It sounds like it just wasn't a good bull sale. A bull is worth what someone will pay for him; maybe no one was in need of a bull that day. Who knows... Did you notice anything special about the other two bulls that sold for a better price?

Based on his pedigree and EPD's the only thing that I see wrong with him is he goes back to New Design 036 pretty close up.

Wewild":1zd5eb59 said:
tom4018":1zd5eb59 said:

I ain't CB but.....it ain't worth much to me unless I know what it was bred to.

Did not know the bulls but they had it listed what they were bred to.

Frankie":2yag5tij said:
tom4018":2yag5tij said:

How did he look? Was he well grown out? I don't see anything wrong with his pedigree. Based on his EPDs, I'd consder him for a herd bull if I needed one. It sounds like it just wasn't a good bull sale. A bull is worth what someone will pay for him; maybe no one was in need of a bull that day. Who knows... Did you notice anything special about the other two bulls that sold for a better price?
The one bull, 15061080, went for $1900 was halter broke nd he looked ok to me. Another, out of Bando 598 and Rockin D Ambush went for 1475 no reg # still pending.

Most of the bulls looked ok, a couple really stood out and a couple were too fat for me. The one that I first posted really stood out along with a couple others. Right condition, good build and temperment in the ring. And they looked good on paper. Seemed like when I was looking for a bull could not find one that did both in this price range for sure. Guess that is how it goes when your looking to buy there are no bargains, but after you buy they put everything on clearance.

Caustic Burno":2c2yxyou said:
tom4018":2c2yxyou said:

To answer the question - "Would you have considered him if you needed a bull?", one must determine the reason(s) for "needing" a bull! Some of the reasons would be:
1 - I am a Registered Angus breeder and this is a purebred Angus bull. Is he Registered? Is he Genetypically and Phenotypically qualified to improve my business?
2 - This bull is not quite 18 months old. Is he old enough to do the job I need to have done? How many females do I have for him to breed?
3 - What are "better than average" numbers?
4 - Am I astute enough to really understand the significance of his pedigree and genetic background? This bull has a "Striking" good pedigree. Does his Phenotype verify the expenditure of $1050 plus 'costs'?
5 - Could I utilize AI and get semen from a bull which would result in a more desirable calf crop than this particular bull can be expected to produce?
6 - This bull has a remarkably fine genetic background (pedigree). Do I "need" this genetype and phenotype in my herd - or do I just need a "cow freshener?"
7 - Are his feet and legs optimal for a breeding bull, and is he healthy in all other considerations?
8 - I am a commercial breeder. THEREFORE - - return to the third sentence of reason #1 and answer the rest of the reasons in order.

After answering these questions to my satisfaction, and, of course, realizing other factors at hand at the moment, I submit that $1050 is not too high a price for this particular bull at this time. But - - one man's meat is another man's poison! The question of "what is an animal worth" is ethereal and can only be answered by the potential buyer.

DOC HARRIS

Doc,

All good questions. I don't need a bull right now, but when I did I could not find one that suited me in physical appearance with these numbers for that price. Most bulls we found this time last year were twice that high. Oh well, everything goes on sale after you buy it.

I don't get hung up too much on numbers but his looks impressed me and the numbers I thought would work for most people. Just thought he would have been a "cheap" herd bull for the average guy.

Latest posts