What is going on in our country.

Help Support CattleToday:

It has become a tradition without regard to party. Every outgoing president pulls this crap. It sure makes it look political.

Why do they do this? Answer, because the President has the authority.

In my opinion, it is some form of favor in return. If not to the inmate, then to the legal firm that represents the inmate.

He's released a lot of drug offenders because he can relate, but I'm in agreement with the favors. Bet there's lots of them you can trace back to friends or donors.

slick4591":1wf811pn said:
He's released a lot of drug offenders because he can relate, but I'm in agreement with the favors. Bet there's lots of them you can trace back to friends or donors.

You got that right!

I don't mean this to be putting any party in bad light but this is rated as one of the 10 most notorious pardons by a President:

Former Defense Secretary Weinberger and six other defendants were criticized for participating in the transfer of U.S. anti-tank missiles to Iran in what became known as the Iran-Contra Affair. Weinberger was charged with lying to the independent counsel after he resigned in 1987. But the pardon by President George H.W. Bush essentially halted the legal proceedings against Weinberger and his fellow defendants, as well as against Bush himself, who could have been called to testify as a former member of the Reagan administration.

Here is one that might win the cake walk:

Preface: conservatives today must jump back flips at the thought of a President pardoning a Union thug:

The head of the Teamsters had been serving a 15-year prison sentence for jury tampering and fraud when President Richard Nixon pardoned him on Dec. 23, 1971. Nixon had one condition, however: Hoffa should "not engage in direct or indirect management of any labor organization" until at least March 1980. Hoffa agreed and supported Nixon's re-election bid in 1972. It is believed that Hoffa was trying to reassert his power over the Teamsters, defying Nixon's requirement, when he disappeared in 1975.

Preface: I am not picking these based on party but the Republicans win the race when it comes to notorious pardons:

A little over a year after he resigned in the wake of Watergate, Richard Nixon received a highly controversial pardon from President Gerald Ford. Some charged that the pardon was part of an agreement reached with Ford when Nixon left office; others, including the New York Times, simply called the move unwise and unjust. Ford, who announced the pardon on live television on Sept. 8, 1974, called the Nixon family's situation "an American tragedy in which we all have played a part." He added: "It could go on and on and on, or someone must write the end to it. I have concluded that only I can do that, and if I can, I must." Ford, however, may have also written his own end, politically speaking. Many believe the Nixon pardon was the reason he lost the 1976 election to Georgia Governor Jimmy Carter.

Moderators:

The forgoing posts are NOT political. The posts are intended solely for the purpose of education. It is our civic duty to know our country's history.

Margonme":1y99wlcm said:
Moderators:

The forgoing posts are NOT political. The posts are intended solely for the purpose of education. It is our civic duty to know our country's history.
I agree. Regardless of which side of the aisle one inhabits, deleting those posts would be silly.

js1234":10p3xhwu said:
Margonme":10p3xhwu said:
Moderators:

I agree. Regardless of which side of the aisle one inhabits, deleting those posts would be silly.

I knew there was corruption on both sides, because the government is crooked, and those that live in glass house's better not throw rocks. It's a shame that we the voters can't rescind some of the presidents powers, or get term limits passed.
For the people, by the people doesn't seem to mean much to a modern day politician.

Margonme said:
Moderators:

The forgoing posts are NOT political. The posts are intended solely for the purpose of education. It is our civic duty to know our country's history.[/quote

I know your being serious. And your right. But for some reason this post made me lmao..?

True Grit Farms":3iup9m80 said:
js1234":3iup9m80 said:
Margonme":3iup9m80 said:
Moderators:

I knew there was corruption on both sides, because the government is crooked, and those that live in glass house's better not throw rocks. It's a shame that we the voters can't rescind some of the presidents powers, or get term limits passed.
For the people, by the people doesn't seem to mean much to a modern day politician.

The Pardon powers are intended to vest power in the highest office of the land to balance an error of judgement. It has not worked that way. Presidents have made the Pardon powers the most corrupt form of politics one will ever see.

Margonme":2xt8j9xg said:
Presidents have made the Pardon powers the most corrupt form of politics one will ever see.
Other than the elections themselves

True Grit Farms":1av4hlrt said:

It's because we, the people, keep giving them power. There is no reason a person should make a career out of politics, but we keep voting them in again and again. Olympia Snow (R, Maine) whom I really respect, has been in office since I was in high school (late 90's). Everyone in power here in ID, whom I don't respect, has been in power since I've been here (six years), and we've been through several election cycles. They're not going to give themselves term limits, and therefore, it's we, the people, who are going to have to start instituting that.

Bestoutwest":268g9lbe said:
True Grit Farms":268g9lbe said:

It's because we, the people, keep giving them power. There is no reason a person should make a career out of politics, but we keep voting them in again and again. Olympia Snow (R, Maine) whom I really respect, has been in office since I was in high school (late 90's). Everyone in power here in ID, whom I don't respect, has been in power since I've been here (six years), and we've been through several election cycles. They're not going to give themselves term limits, and therefore, it's we, the people, who are going to have to start instituting that.

It's hard to believe that all big donors on either side won't get term limits put on the ballot. They claim that they want to help the common citizens. Special interest get a lot of things put on the ballot but it seems to hurt more than it helps.

True Grit Farms":2rhik7z9 said:
It's hard to believe that all big donors on either side won't get term limits put on the ballot. They claim that they want to help the common citizens. Special interest get a lot of things put on the ballot but it seems to hurt more than it helps.

I hate special interest groups. I think that's half the reason our country is where it's at. The only problem I see with this getting on there is that the other side will put a completely fantastical rider on it that will kill it, then the original group will say "See?? See?? Those guys are idiots for not passing this," and now we're more divided than before. I apologize for being so cynical and pessimistic, but I never thought our country would get to the point it's at today.