What is fair markup on RX from Veterinarian?

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
Trying to buy the supplies you need for setting up and AI-ing is getting to expensive though our local vet. I'm just wondering how some of you are getting your hands on what you need. We have had a great vet but I will not pay him a 500% markup on Dexamethasone again. I feel like I'm really getting taken advantage of now that I know the price of RX drugs.

ez14.":3ejoi7lu said:
how much did you pay for the dex?

I'm not sure but it had $25.00 on the bottle. I got a bunch of stuff that day and I pay cash, so I really have no idea of the actual price that I paid.

1/3 margin or 33% over his wholesale cost... 40%+ if he is a volume dealer, but the discount he receives is between
the manufacturer and him. What business is it of yours? You think mwi is selling it to you at their cost? LOL
What matters is the price he is charging you, not his profit margin or the price he paid.

Son of Butch":s3b5i0iu said:
1/3 margin or 33% over his wholesale cost... 40%+ if he is a volume dealer, but the discount he receives is between
the manufacturer and him. What business is it of yours? You think mwi is selling it to you at their cost? LOL
What matters is the price he is charging you, not his profit margin or the price he paid.
15-20% is what it saves me over buying from a vet. They wouldnt be in business if they weren't making a profit. It saves me some money buying in volume, but that's none of my business :roll:

RanchMan90":4qo7wxk5 said:
15% would be fair, 20% would be noticeable. You ever order from mwi? Just need a script from your vet every 6 months

That's the problem my vet wants me to write a list of what I need and he'll order it for us. A 500 ml bottle of Multi - Min 90 cost me $180.00, I don't know if that was excessive or not. I'm just going to inconvenience a few folks and get what I need through them I guess.

RanchMan90":3mnblvvl said:
Son of Butch":3mnblvvl said:
15-20% is what it saves me over buying from a vet. They wouldn't be in business if they weren't making a profit.
It saves me some money buying in volume, but that's none of my business :roll:
Not you... the Vet.
A small vet practice gets a dealer discount, large sale volume vets get the larger distributor discount
and wholesale distributors to vets get the largest discounts from the manufacturers.
Doubtful that you buy enough products per year to even qualify for the lowest vet dealer discount from a distributor.
Don't you know anything about how products are marketed through distributors?
Only way knowing vet's margin would be of value to your business is if you were negotiating a very large purchase
from them. Regardless a vet marking up a product 5x (500%) is telling you I don't care if I get your repeat business.
I've got your money right now and that's what matters most to me.
The question was... What is a fair markup for Veterinarians?
The question should be.... How much can I save buying elsewhere?
After all a penny saved is a penny earned.

Son of Butch":39tbsdh1 said:
RanchMan90":39tbsdh1 said:
Son of Butch":39tbsdh1 said:
15-20% is what it saves me over buying from a vet. They wouldn't be in business if they weren't making a profit.
It saves me some money buying in volume, but that's none of my business :roll:
Not you... the Vet.
A small vet practice gets a dealer discount, large sale volume vets get the larger distributor discount
and wholesale distributors to vets get the largest discounts from the manufacturers.
Doubtful that you buy enough products per year to even qualify for the lowest vet dealer discount from a distributor.
Don't you know anything about how products are marketed through distributors?
Only way knowing vet's margin would be of value to your business is if you were negotiating a very large purchase
from them. Regardless a vet marking up a product 5x (500%) is telling you I don't care if I get your repeat business.
I've got your money right now and that's what matters most to me.
The question was... What is a fair markup for Veterinarians?
The question should be.... How much can I save buying elsewhere?
After all a penny saved is a penny earned.
Never claimed that I did. Do you? :hide:

What is fair markup on RX from Veterinarian?
RanchMan90":2e60rx36 said:
15% would be fair,
15% mark up would be fair? Do you have any idea of a vet's office overhead?
$100 + 15% mark up = $115 or $15 (13%) gross margin per $100 of inventory sold
Where do you get the idea a veterinarian mark up of 15% over his cost is fair market value?
1 office employee at $13.00 hr + ss tax and benefits = selling $100 of inventory (at $115 retail) per hour alone.
As I stated what should matter to the end user is their cost, not the vet's mark up over his or her cost.
That is their business... not yours.

As the old saying goes "I am no screwed unless I think I'm screwed".......none of your business what the vet is marking it up.

Latest posts