What is Chrome in Longhorn crosses

Help Support CattleToday:

tdarden3k

Reaction score
Been reading several threads regarding Longhorn crossbreeding and I keep seeing the phrase "Chrome" associated with their breeding . What exactly is that and what is it caused by ?

If anyone has a picture or two of this occurrence would you please post it.
Thanks

Thank you both . Giving the dog a bath yesterday, I believe that I have a "Chrome" dog as well.
Thanks

highgrit":2i3czm5y said:
branguscowgirl":2i3czm5y said:
"Chrome" is the spots or white markings on the darker hide color.

"Chrome" is the darker spots on a white or light colored hide.
Ok. It is the opposite in describing a horse them. "Chrome" on a horse is the white socks, blaze face ect.. :)

it is the same as horses , it is the amount of white they have , whether it is a dark base with white or a white base with dark
Suzanne

I have some pictures I can show you but I can't show you until Monday when I back at work. I have posted all of my pictures on the Longhorn cross thread so you should be able to see them there. You will see the marked up ones...yellow and white...black and white....those are the ones with chrome. I always said the white that comes out is the chrome but high grit says different but it's still the same. They will be marked up different colors instead of a solid color.

Chrome is the white, as it looks to shine on the dark background. Just like chrome on a truck shines.

20130421_193327.jpg

What do you call the spots on a Charolais cow crossed with a longhorn bull? I was just jerking around with BCG, I'm sure the white is considered the chrome. Sorry for the confusion.

highgrit":3qr2rrhi said:
What do you call the spots on a Charolais cow crossed with a longhorn bull? I was just jerking around with BCG, I'm sure the white is considered the chrome. Sorry for the confusion.
Ha! I knew better, I just wanted to humor you HG. ;-) No sense in ruffling your feathers by telling you your wrong. :mrgreen:

highgrit":xs7f26am said:
Usually they are called spots!

Chrome is a catch all phrase that describes the effects of one or more of several genetic mutations that determine coat color, specifically the ones that cause white markings. These include roan, spotting, blaze face, skunk tail/color sided, and hereford patterns. Some of them are fairly unique to a breed, (Hereford pattern). Some of them are dominant(Hereford) some are recessive(spotting), and some are incompletely dominant (roan). The longhorns can carry or display any of these.

I left out belts. The term chrome is usually bandied about by professional cattle buyers and is used as justification to pay less money for calves of equal quality but unfavorable markings. In other words they can accuse your Simmental of being a half Holstein, or your shorthorn of being part longhorn, both of which they will lose money on.

Thanks to all including Andyva for the great technical explanation. :wave: