What is a Fleckvieh Simmental?

Help Support CattleToday:

Simmenthal is kind of a catch grouping/name for a number of similar breeds. Fleckvieh is one of them, PieRouge is another, can't hink of the others off hand. The Fleckvieh seem to be a chunkier animal then the others of the Simmenthals. Sorry, can't really describe it any better.

dun

gertman -- check out the "Why Fleckvieh" section on the following
link for a brief bit of "breed propaganda" (and I don't mean "propaganda" in a condescending or scornful way). Also, if you do a google search for "Fleckvieh Simmentals" I bet you'll see quite a few links to Great Guns and other Fleck breeders here in the USA. Some of the sites probably have a good description of the Flecks, their history in Germany, Austria & Switzerland, etc. Could easily be wrong I think most of the Flecks in the USA descend from German & Austrian lines .

http://www.brinkgenetics.com/fleckvieh.htm

Das ist Deutschen fur fleckig kuh von Schweiz. Ok being smart. The word is German. Fleck means spotted and vieh means cattle and they are fullbloods originating from Switzerland.

In Canada, Fleckvieh are cattle which were originally imported only from Austria or Germany. Swiss cattle are not Flecks. Neither are Pie Rouge, or Montbelliard.

In general, flecks are coarser cattle with lower milk production, increased muscle mass and in my experience, increased calving problems. That is not to say I didn't use flecks in my breeding program, just that they were'nt my favourites. I personally preferred 3/8 fleck in the mix. There was semen imported from Europe a few years back (ie Balist) and I really didn't like his calves we had. There are some excellent fleck herds out there and they would have the other side of the equation which I am not providing. Find your own balance!

cattle_gal":27weq11x said:
Das ist Deutschen fur fleckig kuh von Schweiz. Ok being smart. The word is German. Fleck means spotted and vieh means cattle and they are fullbloods originating from Switzerland.

To expand on this two other popular breeds that also have "vieh" in their names are:

Gelbvieh, which means yellow cattle

and

Braunvieh, which means brown cattle.

Vicki the Vet":1ri0tbp2 said:
In Canada, Fleckvieh are cattle which were originally imported only from Austria or Germany. Swiss cattle are not Flecks. Neither are Pie Rouge, or Montbelliard.

In general, flecks are coarser cattle with lower milk production, increased muscle mass and in my experience, increased calving problems. That is not to say I didn't use flecks in my breeding program, just that they were'nt my favourites. I personally preferred 3/8 fleck in the mix. There was semen imported from Europe a few years back (ie Balist) and I really didn't like his calves we had. There are some excellent fleck herds out there and they would have the other side of the equation which I am not providing. Find your own balance!

EPD numbers in North America show that the majority Fleckvieh cattle within the Simmental breed are ABOVE average in milk however much lower in direct and maternal calving ease.

Latest posts