What is a Cattle Trader?

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms":1vpt2s2k said:
BC":1vpt2s2k said:
Crowderfarms":1vpt2s2k said:
Some buy at barns that have a reputation for cheaper Cattle, and they buy there and send to a barn with more buyers, and higher prices.

There are bargains at all barns. We have one in the area that everybody thinks has the best market around and I have a friend that consistently buys cows and resales them at our local sale by the way which does not have the perception of having the best market unless you visit with the order buyers.
Several have told me that week in and week out their calves are higher here than any other barn, just don't have the volume.
There's a barn about 30 miles from here with the reputation of a "Buyers Market" and the rep of "I would'nt sell a billy goat there" You can buy at times, good cattle off local farms, but the owner of the barn buys any culls that he can, and tries to make a buck, hence he's a cattle trader! They are also known for preg, checks that might say 6-7 mo, bred, that are actually short breds. Also notorious for selling "Gummers" as short mouths. Very little credibility. VERY few order buyers. But at times there have been some darn good cattle there, and I've bought a few several years ago from there, that I still have.Darn good ones too. proves the point buyer beware!
  • Your local sale Barn stands a good chance of being owned by "Cattle Traders"[/
[/list]quote] Thats for damn sure.you can spot a trader a mile away they aways wear there hats cocked on there head :hat:

From my experience, of course I am a "dumb blonde", a trader is the guy at the sale who wants to "help you out" and flashes you some cash to make you think he is doing you a favor. I went head to head with a "pen hooker" this year at the feeder sale. I had to take my steers in myself. Of course when "blondie" so they call me, pulled up with her "herefords" I was swarmed. The guy followed me around and kept asking me what I wanted. I told him he was the one that "wanted" them and to name his price. After about 15 minutes of bad offers and my cattle being graded with an "M" I named my price(1000.00 over what he offered) he laughed and smiled and told me that they were worth it but he wouldn't make any money. I told him he couldn't make all of the money. That night at the sale they brought $200.00 more than I had priced them too him for, I smiled and laughed and told him, "Bet you wish you had bought them now." He laughed back. :lol:
I have a few friends that are true "traders". They buy and sale and fill orders. Usually if they are buying , the cattle are already sold. If they don't make money on them they keep 'um and doctor them up then make money. They all seem to be good peolpe as long as you don't let them intimidate you. :p

Latest posts