What is a bull worth

Help Support CattleToday:

i know reg breeders that go to the top bull sales.and they walk out with the high selling bulls.by that im talking bout bulls that sell for over $20,000 a hd.

gizmom":28pqge2j said:
I read this article, it was worth the read love to hear your thoughts.

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/advice-and ... d-pay-bull

Gizmom

Cattlenetwork has some good articles but it is hard not to be cynical when Laura Mushrush trots that same article out every year before the Mushrush Red Angus Bull Sale.

In your own experience at the Florida Bull Test there was such a small difference between the top bull and the bottom bull.

What is a better investment for the majority of us, to spend an extra $2,000 this year on a bull or to spend an extra $2,000 on your pasture? Now that would be a good study for a University program. One group spends all of its money on the bull and the other group spends all of its money on the pasture and see which produces the most money per acre.

There are many reasonably priced line bred bulls of all breeds out there that are well under $6,000. The whole bull sale frenzy reminds me of the time share schemes. Separate a person from his/her common sense and then drain the bank account.

GENETRUST @ Cavender's Neches River Ranch
November 15, 2014 Sale Report

Registered Bull Averages
59 Coming 2 Brangus & UltraBlack Bulls $9250
112 Yearling Brangus & UltraBlack Bulls $6545
Total 171 Brangus & UltraBlack Bulls $7478 avg.

I bought a bull here several years ago for $2900. It's all relative to the price of calves what they will bring.

bulldurham":15f8knmu said:
For the commercial guy with 30-40 cows, I think it is outrageous to be spending 5k+ on a herd sire. Not because perhaps he won't pencil out,,, but because you just don't have to pay that much in order to buy a sufficient quality bull.

Just depends on what you consider a sufficient quality bull. Most of the breeders around our area I would have more confidence in keeping my own herd sire than using one of their bulls.

You can only inject so much growth via genetics. You only need so much calving ease. If the commercial man can find a bull that maximizes his environments growth potential without increasing bw risk for $3500, then it would be foolish for him to pay 6 grand for a bull. Valuing$ more growth than your environment can support or more calving ease than is necessary is a waste.

bulldurham":2zw45k6n said:
You can only inject so much growth via genetics. You only need so much calving ease. If the commercial man can find a bull that maximizes his environments growth potential without increasing bw risk for $3500, then it would be foolish for him to pay 6 grand for a bull. Valuing$ more growth than your environment can support or more calving ease than is necessary is a waste.

No argument in that at all but how do you value fertility, udder structure, fleshing ability, and any maternal trait? You can put a dollar value on a terminal bull and what he brings to the table. But for people who are more concerned about the heifers he will produce it is much tougher to assign a value to a acceptable quality bull.

highgrit":2918mp14 said:
I feel bull prices are a little weak, and it's not going to get any better. To me it's a supply and demand thing. With all the information that's out there it's easy for people to breed good bulls. Seems like with the use of embryos, and AI, anybody can raise good bulls. Everybody is producing the same animals, at least by the numbers and names. Knowing how to feed a bull out so that he can past the eye test is the hardest part of raising good bulls anymore. I was at a sale Saturday and the bulls sold good, but the 3 in 1's sold as good or better. And to me that's a bad sign for the folks that raise bulls.

x2

JWBrahman":2qgr6z6l said:
gizmom":2qgr6z6l said:
I read this article, it was worth the read love to hear your thoughts.

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/advice-and ... d-pay-bull

Gizmom

Cattlenetwork has some good articles but it is hard not to be cynical when Laura Mushrush trots that same article out every year before the Mushrush Red Angus Bull Sale.

In your own experience at the Florida Bull Test there was such a small difference between the top bull and the bottom bull.

What is a better investment for the majority of us, to spend an extra $2,000 this year on a bull or to spend an extra $2,000 on your pasture? Now that would be a good study for a University program. One group spends all of its money on the bull and the other group spends all of its money on the pasture and see which produces the most money per acre.

There are many reasonably priced line bred bulls of all breeds out there that are well under $6,000. The whole bull sale frenzy reminds me of the time share schemes. Separate a person from his/her common sense and then drain the bank account.

On grass of course. I never meant to say everyone should spend 6 grand on a bull or you had to to get a good bull. Just that a 3 grand bull several years ago can cost 6 grand now and it's relative to the price of calves.

On page 1 here, there seemed to be some assumptions/misinterpretations of that link.. The link only showed how changes in EPD (WW especially) can pencil out for you over 5 years and 20 calves per year.. How much YOU value that added gain and how much MORE you should pay for it was never brought up.

All I can say is in fall of 2013 when I sold my old bull for $2100 and bought a new long yearling for $3500 I felt pretty lucky. As Walnut crest said, If you're a seedstock operation, and have good cows to begin with, it's more important to have a bull that's better than your cows. For beef folk, if it puts nice calves on the ground and they grow decently well, that's priority #1, If you're going to keep heifers, you're going to look a little more closely at the bull and his parents. Unless the bull has a good accuracy for his EPD's, I really don't think you'll notice the impact of a small WW increase... And the ones with higher accuracy are going to be AI donors so you can't afford them anyhow.

It kinda reminds me of some people who go to the end of the earth to squeeze out a little more MPG from their vehicle.. like turning the engine off and coasting down hills, while ignoring the fact they're using up their brakes more... never mind the greater risk of an accident.

Numbers can be made to do anything. The 2 recent bull test sales around here averaged 5000 the highest in both around 8000 the low in one 3500 in the other 1700.
JMO part of the higher cost of bulls is that the knife was used alot more with higher prices. If you are just looking for a calf, the so so bull will do fine, but to improve and gain you probably need to look at EPDs and pedigree and decide what you may need, everybody has different ideas and goals.

well i seen the sales results from the sale that 4 of us went to in dec.the 4 of us had cows heifers and bulls we was bidding on we bid on our selected lots till they hit our limit.those that went higher than we did had to pay from a $1000 to $1500 or more for those lots because of our bidding.

This has been an interesting thread, bull prices have been higher at every sale I have gone to or looked at, I think for two reasons one all of us are getting more for our calves that can not be disputed. We are also getting more for our cull cows and bulls so the price paid for a new bull is offset some by the price we receive for the bull that is being replaced. Another point was made that more calves are being steered due to the high prices and I would agree. It is very tempting to just steer all of them and not have to deal with the issues we have to deal with that come along with raising bulls. For example, we can't really market a bull until he is 14 to 15 months old and we keep a handful until they are two year olds, so we have the added cost of holding that animal until that age, then bulls being bulls when the hormones kick in they start fighting. A good example is we had four to take to the BCIA Fall Roundup sale in November the day after we had them semen and trich tested one managed to break his leg. So now we have invested two years in a bull that can't even go to the sale barn for salvage. :bang: :bang:

gizmom

Mrs. Gizmon, I have a question about your bulls from the FL bull test. I felt like out of the 3 bulls you sold there,
the one I liked the best sold for the least. What is your opinion on that?

Really hard to say, I wasn't able to be there and to be honest haven't seen the bulls since they were delivered other than the videos. My best guess was the Rib eye measurement on the bull was small and I think it had a negative impact on the calf. But that is just my best guess at an auction you just never really know, I think the calf had a whole lot of good going for him as far as genetics he performed well he actually won the feed efficiency portion of the test and then went on to have very acceptable performance. I think the folks that purchased him got themselves a deal on a very nice calf. I wish I could give you a better answer but that is my best guess.

gizmom

Latest posts