What In The

Help Support CattleToday:

syork

Reaction score
heck is going on with this whole dang country. I have 7 dogs so I buy my dog food well as of yesterday used to buy it at the feed stores. I used to buy 50# bags at 13.50 a bag. Well I went in yesterday to ask her for the usual she came up with a figure that was way up there. I was like whoa, you got the right bag? She says yes, I am like ok how much was it a bag? She said 23.50 :eek: I am like oh heck no. I just told her to cancel my order and out the door I went. I went to anthor feed store. It was only 2 bucks cheaper. I am like what the heck. I had to go to one of our grocery stores. I got it for 16 bucks a bag. What in the heck is it with these high dog food and feed prices? I went to buy 50 pounds of corn glueten I used to pay 4 bucks a bag for it now its 9 dollars? :???: I dont know what I am gonna do if the price of feed dont come down. I had to cut down on how much feed I feed the cattle. They are holdin their weight. I only give out feed when we have bitter cold days. I will be glad to see grass again and be so glad if and when dog food prices come down.

Don't count on it coming down. It'll probably go up more. Regulations just enacted is going to make it harder(ie costlier) to use dead cows in rendering plants. Our local disposal guy is going out of business.
Now all that good meat is going to lay rotting or go to the dump.

Just like everything else.

A 50# bag of dog chow used to be $13.50 or so at Walmart. It's up to about $20.00, and a 50# bag now weighs only 44.1#. Check the contents of a 3# can of coffee. :roll: :lol2:

the last dog food i bought was $13.50.an i buy it about every 6wks.i sure hope it dont go up to much.

Have not paid a lot of attention to it, but I will. I normally buy dogfood at the grocery store, but I will sometimes get it at the feed store when I run out.

I do know that I spent more on feed this year, calf starter, horse and mule and chicken feed, than I ever have before. And it isn't because I have more animals than I did. They only good thing about this year is that hay went down and I was able to get when I needed pretty cheaply.

Everything containing grain went up big time in '08. Dog food, wheat chex, you name it.
Now that grains are about half their peak price, are those products coming down?? To answer my own question, NO!

john250":nviczhjw said:
Everything containing grain went up big time in '08. Dog food, wheat chex, you name it.
Now that grains are about half their peak price, are those products coming down?? To answer my own question, NO!

We booked a price for several tons of cubes back in the fall. When we picked up a load last week, they gave us a $10 discount per ton. Maybe prices are coming down a bit. :eek:

I noticed that. If wholesale prices on grain are coming down, as well as fuel, the things that were blamed on the price raise in the first place, then why doesn't the price go down now? I noticed Saturday when I was at the grocery store that the prices are still out of sight. I think the store where I shop has tried to keep the prices on cereal down because people buy a lot of cereal, but bread is high and fresh produce is high as well.

I just shop the sales, try to use coupons when I can, and look for specials in the store. I am still spending well over a hundred bucks a pop, though. Not counting what Steve buys for himself during the week. I try to cook ahead and get things on special for him to take, but he always needs crackers or some such nonsense.

Lammie":2i90fn6z said:
I noticed that. If wholesale prices on grain are coming down, as well as fuel, the things that were blamed on the price raise in the first place, then why doesn't the price go down now? I noticed Saturday when I was at the grocery store that the prices are still out of sight. I think the store where I shop has tried to keep the prices on cereal down because people buy a lot of cereal, but bread is high and fresh produce is high as well.

I just shop the sales, try to use coupons when I can, and look for specials in the store. I am still spending well over a hundred bucks a pop, though. Not counting what Steve buys for himself during the week. I try to cook ahead and get things on special for him to take, but he always needs crackers or some such nonsense.

Diesel is still over $2 a gallon here. Gasoline had dropped to the $1.4something range, but is back up to $1.79 now.

Frankie":1ts5cjnq said:
Lammie":1ts5cjnq said:

Diesel is still over $2 a gallon here. Gasoline had dropped to the $1.4something range, but is back up to $1.79 now.

Yes, you can't help but notice fuel went up. But it is still cheaper than it has been in several years.

I usually buy dog food for my many dogs @ Wal-Mart. They like the gravy in the #50 bags of Ole Roy. The last two times I went there, they were sold out and I couldn't even give them $1K for the dog food...it was literally priceless.

Latest posts