What in the devil is the deal with egg and chicken prices these days?

Help Support CattleToday:

We sell what we don't eat for $2 a dozen but we have 4 kids and 1 on the way we eat quite a few eggs
Just curious, what is your setup like with the layers? Do you collect the eggs by hand? A former member here had a setup where the eggs rolled out of the nest into a basket. I can't recall her name, but I will see if I can find the video she posted.
Edit: Found it. Pretty ingenious.

Last edited:
Just curious, what is your setup like with the layers? Do you collect the eggs by hand? A former member here had a setup where the eggs rolled out of the nest into a basket. I can't recall her name, but I will see if I can find the video she posted.
Edit: Found it. Pretty ingenious.

I just have a row of milk crates i fill with wheat straw nothing fancy.

People living in apartments don't have the option of raising their own livestock and crops. I just ordered some frozen chicken thighs from my local Walmart. They are about the same price as the Walmart frozen skinless chicken breast USED to be not long ago at about $2.12 a pound. Walmart frozen skinless chicken breast is now $3.50 a pound frozen. I have been buying generic Walmart large eggs for years at about $1.75 per 18 count. Now that same 18-count carton has jumped up to $3.99. I've noticed my Walmart generic lean ground ground beef has come down slightly per pound and my deli ham is about the same per pound. Milk prices are still stable.

Chicken and eggs used to be such a budget product for animal proteins. Some speculate that certain "food shortages" and their subsequent price hikes are pure bunk. Can't farmers and ranchers safeguard their own livestock from infectious diseases, for Christ sake!
My free range chickens and ducks are healthy, but the wrong bird flies into the yard or poops while flying over, I'll probably have to kill them all.

Eagles and hawks and other birds have been found with this disease. Could spreading of chicken litter on our pastures be a spreader of this disease.
It's a bird disease that chickens can catch. It's not primarily a chicken disease. Eagles and hawks can catch it from any diseased bird.

Friend of ours has 10,000 free range chickens and sells eggs to whole foods. The eggs are collected by a conveyor belt and he claims it's pretty rare to get a broken one. They let the birds out for a 4 hour recess everyday and he claims they are excited and ready to get out. I like eating chicken but don't want one around here.